Do I need to buy a new FCG in California?

If I convert my Saiga to a pistol grip, do I need to buy a new fire control group? Or are all the parts already in there, it just being a matter of moving them around?

Its my understanding that in California you can only get Saigas from RAA, which are assembled in the U.S. and therefore I don't need to replace things with American parts. Can anyone fill me in on this?

If I convert my Saiga to a pistol grip, do I need to buy a new fire control group? Or are all the parts already in there, it just being a matter of moving them around?

Yes, you need a new FCG if you plan on moving it forward, to it's original AK position.

Its my understanding that in California you can only get Saigas from RAA, which are assembled in the U.S. and therefore I don't need to replace things with American parts. Can anyone fill me in on this?

RRA Saigas are not assembled in the US. RRA is the US importer of said Saigas. There is nothing US made on a factory Saiga.

Read up on the "Conversions" section and "922r" section.

• 5 weeks later...
If I'm not mistaken anything with a pistol grip and removable magazine in California is considered an 'Assault Weapon'. You may be stuck with it as is (not that that's a bad thing).

This is true, but if said rifle has a mag lock(tool needed to remove mag) then all "evil features" are 100% legit. If you want to move the F.C.G. and use standard A.K. mags then you go with a "featureless" build. A featureless is only 1 "evil feature" that would be the detachable mag.

• 6 months later...

1) As stated above, if you add the pistol grip either way you will need to put in a new FCG.

2) I have also HEARD... that RRA Saigas are legal in California where as EAA are not... you would have to double check.

3) With a magazine retention kit installed, I.E. Radlock or Bullet Button, you should be able to operate with a Pistol Grip or any other "evil features"

4) 922r still applies

5) Even with all of the above, in CA, you must still use 10rnd mags

I am a Marine not a lawyer so take the above advice for what it is worth!

1) As stated above, if you add the pistol grip either way you will need to put in a new FCG.

2) I have also HEARD... that RRA Saigas are legal in California where as EAA are not... you would have to double check.

3) With a magazine retention kit installed, I.E. Radlock or Bullet Button, you should be able to operate with a Pistol Grip or any other "evil features"

4) 922r still applies

5) Even with all of the above, in CA, you must still use 10rnd mags

I am a Marine not a lawyer so take the above advice for what it is worth!

#2 is incorrect, the only Saigas listed are imported by "Kalashnikov U.S.A." and is listed as "Hunter rifle/Saiga" all others are legal. R.A.A. and E.A.A. are GTG for California.

#3 is correct, if the magazine needs a tool to be removed than it is "non-detachable", any and all "Evil features" may be installed on the rifle. The only execption is the 10 round limit, if a mag lock is installed the magazine cannot accecpt NO MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS OF AMMO.

The rest is GTG, if one wants to use standard AK mags the you would go "featureless." Do the conversion, just delete the pistol grip, and add the 922r compliance items.