Axle pin help (308 conversion)

I am having a terrible time getting the axle pins out of my .308 Saiga rifle. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a trick to it that I am not aware of? They are just not coming out. I've been beating the heck out of them for like an hour now. Please help.

Uh,did you pull the wire/spring out of engagement with the lip on the big end of the pin right against the inside wall of the receiver?

I got that. It was the wire spring. When I looked closely with a flashlight, I saw what I needed to do. Now what is the best way to get the plate off the bottom of the reciever? It looks like there are 3 spot welds; one on the the front of the trigger guard and two underneath the trigger guard. I have one rivet filed of, but it isn't coming out easily.

I got that. It was the wire spring. When I looked closely with a flashlight, I saw what I needed to do. Now what is the best way to get the plate off the bottom of the reciever? It looks like there are 3 spot welds; one on the the front of the trigger guard and two underneath the trigger guard. I have one rivet filed of, but it isn't coming out easily.

Do you have a dremel too and a flat sharp chisel?

You can dremel the spot weld thin,cut the heads off the rivets with a small diameter dremel cutoff wheel and then place the sharp/flat chisel between the receiver and the plate and whack it towards the spot welds with a hammer and the plate will pop off.You may have to whack the remaining shank of the rivets with a punch but avoid trying to cut and grind all the way though so you don't scar your receiver.

I have even thinnned the spot welds and cut off the rivet heads and in lieu of a chisel used and old butter knife hammed betweent he plate and the receiver to pop the plate off of the remaining rivet shanks and spot welds when helping a friend finish his conversion on the kitchen table of his apartment :D

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_3.htm

I actually have both. that's some good advice. I have to go get the cutoff wheels, but other than that, I have it covered. I also noticed I will need a disconnector spring. The one with the old trigger assembly was too large. Thanks. What dremel attachment for the spot welds?

Do you have a dremel too and a flat sharp chisel?

You can dremel the spot weld thin,cut the heads off the rivets with a small diameter dremel cutoff wheel and then place the sharp/flat chisel between the receiver and the plate and whack it towards the spot welds with a hammer and the plate will pop off.You may have to whack the remaining shank of the rivets with a punch but avoid trying to cut and grind all the way though so you don't scar your receiver.

I have even thinnned the spot welds and cut off the rivet heads and in lieu of a chisel used and old butter knife hammed betweent he plate and the receiver to pop the plate off of the remaining rivet shanks and spot welds when helping a friend finish his conversion on the kitchen table of his apartment :D

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_3.htm

Edited by lrwarchild