S-12 conversion help/advice needed

Hello all,

Im new to saigas and have been out of guns for a while and have an S-12 19" in its 8 day wait. While Id love to have tromix work my new S-12 over, well 2011 seems forever away so Im going to try to assemble the parts myself and then either have a local shop do the conversion, or maybe a sponsor here if there are any close to MD or maybe get the guts to do it myself. I also have a Saiga .223 that I bought as well but that can wait till the zombie killer is done.

Here is my plan. Please advise if Im moving in the right direction, let me know what Im forgetting and what I may be

doing that is a waste of time or money. Im going blind searching for stuff on this board and while Im finding great info, Im also confusing myself on some things so I thought I better stop and ask some questions.

Here is what I want to do for my gun.

side folding stock (question about this at end)

SAW grip

either Tromix DIY trigger guard or Saigatech aluminum trigger guard (leaning toward the saigatech cuz it looks cooler)

Tromix fire control group.

10 round mag

Chaos Tri or Quad rail, quick cleanout, and vertical grip

Chaos hedgehog brake (when available) and Porkypine

Is this enough US parts to keep me compliant? I think so but that whole 922 deal is confusing as hell.

Do I need anything else internally? Is there something Im forgetting?

any suggestions otherwise?

I found Ripper1's awesome step by step instructions on installing the internal receiver block and trigger guard with pics.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=32256&hl=

Its probably WHY Im actually considering doing this myself. I have a dremel and a vise but I have never tapped screws or

worked with much aluminum and I sure as hell dont want to F this up.

Im going to go with an ACE folding skeleton stock or a Tromix folding stock.

Ripper1s writeup says you need the internal receiver block, cut the tang, mod the block etc etc

get a hinge, and a stock. Im assuming thats what Id need to do for the tromix stock?

True or am I missing something?

HOWEVER

I came across THIS on the ACE website in addition to their other stocks.

Saiga Folding Skeleton Stock Set [AKRBS-FX(_)-FS] $185.00

Includes: Receiver Block with SAW style pistol grip (#AKRBS), folding stock mechanism (FSM). Skeleton Stock (#AKFX(length)), 1/2" Recoil Pad (RP1/2), 1 1/4" ambi sling mount (#UM 1.25) and all hardware needed to install this stock. No modifications to your Saiga are necessary.

Ok that appears to be all of the parts needed to do what I want, however the "kit" if you will says no modifications to the saiga are necessary, yet the post by Ripper 1 has you cutting off the tang, modding the reciever block and all that

the receiver block on this "kit" doesnt look the same as the one in Ripper 1's post. So

Is that Kit for those who DONT MOVE THE TRIGGER GUARD forward?

Or can either approach be used with the same result?

Because I want the deal where I move the trigger guard forward so the SAW grip is under the gun rather than it looking like its hanging off the back of it.

Ive seen refs to folding mechanism with a button. I copied the link but now it doesnt work and I cant find it.

DO I need to modify the magazine slot to accept the 10 rnd mags or will they fit fine?

Thats it for now. I hope that all made sense, though I feel like Im forgetting something.

Thanks in advance for all your future helpl

Jeff

"Is this enough US parts to keep me compliant? I think so but that whole 922 deal is confusing as hell.

Do I need anything else internally? Is there something Im forgetting?

any suggestions otherwise?"

That is more than needed for compliance. Check out this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31710 Look at a list of the named parts in 922, keep your total of foreign made ones under 10 and your good.

"Is that Kit for those who DONT MOVE THE TRIGGER GUARD forward?

Or can either approach be used with the same result?

Because I want the deal where I move the trigger guard forward so the SAW grip is under the gun rather than it looking like its hanging off the back of it."

Yes, that kit does not move the trigger forward. Look at the pic and notice the distance between the grip and the mag r elease.

"Ive seen refs to folding mechanism with a button. I copied the link but now it doesnt work and I cant find it."

I think this is the one your refering to: http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_inf...a78caa09daefee4

"DO I need to modify the magazine slot to accept the 10 rnd mags or will they fit fine?"

You will have to try one in your gun and see. Some guns will require you to open up the clearance a little, but it is a minimal amount. Most guns will be fine as they come.