optic mount - keep it or ditch it?

got a new saiga 12 and going to convert it to pistol grip/folding stock/10"-12" sbs. none of the other ak i have have the optic mount on the receiver so i cant help but feel that there is a giant chunk of metal hanging off the side of my gun like a teen with a bad pimple. since im already converting it anyway (no nib/collectors value added), is there any real use for the mount? ill probably keep the bead sight or add a weaver rail/dot over the gas tube. dosent seem like id be having the need to throw on a nightforce, psl optic, or some such on a shotgun. any thoughts as to why i should keep it or cheerleading to set my mind at ease with the thought i should ditch it?

Hmm.... The newer AK variants actually do have this type of a mount...

If we were having this conversation while you did not already have one installed, were thinking about adding one (as some people actually pay to have them installed) I would definitely see your point and agree that there are quite a few other options available as you mentioned, the rail on the gas tube as well as the rail on the top cover...

But since you already have one, why not look around and find the scope or red-dot that will fit your needs that utilizes this mount?

Check out this website Note: I have heard some horror stories about the customer service of this website, the lead times, and the high prices, but as far as checking out the variety of available options it is quite nice.

My personal favorites!!!

po3.5x21.jpg

ekp_8mbig01.jpg

3stylekobras.jpg

These are just my $0.02

:big_smile:

Hmm.... The newer AK variants actually do have this type of a mount...

yeah, mine are mainly poly legend/mak types.

thanks for the info. i didnt realize they made dot sights specifically for that mount. they still look a bit big and heavy compared to a docter style or similar dot site. decision, decisions, decisions :) just looking at the mount , it looks like three rivets will have to be removed. the first two will be holes that need to be welded but the last looks like it is attached to the rear trunion. might be more of a pita than it is worth if i have to re-rivet.