hi-cap Saiga mag idea

I have some of the 20 rd AK-47 mags and was playing around with the mags awhile back and found that they will fit (unaltered) into the Saiga 223 rifle. This gave me an idea. I am going to take a part the mag and do the following:

1. bend the down turned follower straight. (to aid feeding)

2. file upper inside front of mag at angle (to aid mag loading/feeding)

3. If necessary..bend lips slightly (aid feeding)

This may not work..but is worth a try with these cheap metal ak-47 mags...

If anyone has tried this..would appreciate input..also other ideas welcome...I have sent my Saiga into Firefly Arms for conversion and will not beable to play with this until it returns....

It is said that you can get SOME degree of feed doing so...

but don't expect a full 30 round mag to work (it won't). This has to do with the differences in case diameter and taper...it's just too much to tweak around.

Since there are the East German "Weiger" metal mags, and, the 5.45x39mm bakelites can easily be made to function...

there is little point in dinkering around with the standard AK metal mag ('cept for grins!).

Lollygagger :unsure:

If your dead set on giving it a try, try to epoxy a ledge at the rear of the follower like on the Robarm 223 follower for 5.45 mags. This will let the rounds dip as you load the mag. The curvature of the 7.62 may be to great to overcome but you never know until you try. Good Luck.

If your dead set on giving it a try, try to epoxy a ledge at the rear of the follower like on the Robarm 223 follower for 5.45 mags. This will let the rounds dip as you load the mag. The curvature of the 7.62 may be  to great to overcome but you never know until you try. Good Luck.

Or...

You can use the existing follower -just dremel the stops inside the bakelite mag body just short of 1/4" higher (give it a little more angle up in the process)...

And, bend the front of the metal follower STRAIGHT -the plastic follower can be MELTED to do the same.

The mod works great, costs nothing but time, and, is very PERMANENT (will not come unglued).

Jus' a thought.

Lollygagger :unsure: (Yes, I've done it to several mags).

Edited by lollygagger