7.62 conversion with little mods 922 ok

I am new to these guns and thought I would post up after lurking for a couple of days. I recently bought a saiga 7.62 after hunting a wasr10 and not being able to find one. I guess I jumped on the innauguration bandwagon having owned many handguns, shot guns, and hunting rifles. My saiga has the factory skeleton stock with cheek pad which I really like. I guess I will ask the questions now-

Can I get this thing 922 compliant while utilizing the factory butt stock?

If not- is there a stock style skeleton butt stock I can use? I have read several threads and watched some videos on converting this to a new stock with pistol grip. I know this will bring my part count down but I am hesitant to do the drill work and move the tg forward. I almost bought Dinzags bullet guide today as I have 2 modded 30 rd. mags ready to go and the install on the guide doesn't seem too bad....

I guess what I am asking is- Is there a simple way without drilling this gun and utilizing the factory stock to make this thing compliant?

If not- I am looking for the easiest way to get the parts count low enough to make it legal with the smallest amt. of work.

I have seen the stock style butt stocks w/ grip that I believe count for 2- forearm should be 1- drop in stock tg should make me ok. I also want to retain the bolt open feature.

Any help would be greatly appresiated as I am ready to get this thing done asap. thanks

If you want to keep the original butt stock, then here are the easy things to swap-out towards 922r compliance:

- US Magazine (counts as 3 compliance parts: follower, body, and floorplate)

- handguard (which you already mentioned)

- hammer

- disconnector

If using foreign mags, you can replace the follower and floorplate on each with K-Var US-made parts. That would give you 2 US compliance parts.

With a little more work, you can also replace the gas piston with a US part.

Can't comment on the skeleton stock, I've only used the Tapco T6 Infusion stock w/PG.

Hope this helps,

Carl

Ok call me Mr. Indecisive. I am going one of 3 ways- I have spent hours over the Holiday reading this forum and am still hesitant on the conversion as far as the drilling and cutting ( if there is no PG hole )

#1-

Change to US mags- -3

Change hand guard- -1

= legal

#2- full conversion

Change the stock- -1

Grip to pistol grip- -1

FCG- -3

= legal

#3-

Change to the factory mount to Tapco stock and PG assembly- -2

Change to US mags- -3

= legal

Sancho,

Though the combinations you listed looked OK to me, I'm certainly no expert! You do need to be careful about treating the PG as a compliance part, though. If you add a PG, you are adding a US part, but you are not replacing a foreign part, so the foreign part count remains unchanged. So your options 2) and 3) which look like they'd give you only 9 foreign parts actually give you a total of 10 foreign parts!

Strictly speaking, 10 foreign parts is legal, but many feel that having only 9 foreign parts is more safe because the language in 922r defining the number of foreign parts that is legal is a little ambiguous. Personally, I will be converting to 9 foreign parts just to be paranoid.

Carl

Though the combinations you listed looked OK to me, I'm certainly no expert! You do need to be careful about treating the PG as a compliance part, though. If you add a PG, you are adding a US part, but you are not replacing a foreign part, so the foreign part count remains unchanged. So your options 2) and 3) which look like they'd give you only 9 foreign parts actually give you a total of 10 foreign parts!

^ What he said. ^

You're compliant with 10 or less foreign parts (that are actually "counted" with 922r).

I'd recommend your option #2. With that, you can use any magazines you want. As opposed to relying on US made mags to make compliance.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I want to do a full conversion. With the info on this site and a few others I think I will be able to handle the job. I do have a question though-

Has anyone encountered any problems as far as feeding or general reliability when the full conversion is done? I shot my saiga for the first time on Sunday and absolutley love it. I would not want to alter the shooting characteristics of this gun unless it is going to definitely make it better.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I want to do a full conversion. With the info on this site and a few others I think I will be able to handle the job. I do have a question though-

Has anyone encountered any problems as far as feeding or general reliability when the full conversion is done? I shot my saiga for the first time on Sunday and absolutley love it. I would not want to alter the shooting characteristics of this gun unless it is going to definitely make it better.

I don't recall anyone reporting decreased performance after conversion, and I know for sure, mine hasn't lost anything since converting it.

After swapping out the FCG for a G2, it's a different gun. You will notice it instantly. Make sure you do a good job installing the bullet guide, and you shouldn't have any problems. When you think about it, when doing a basic conversion (change the stock, swap out FCG and add a PG) you aren't heavily modifying anything.

A pistol grip makes it more ergonomic (for most) and the FCG swap makes the trigger pull so much better.

So unless you're having problems with your Saiga before conversion, you shouldn't have any problems afterward.

Oh jeez... I went into the local gun shop to buy a few more boxes of ammo ( where I bought my saiga) and I got to talking about my plans for it- the response-

You're fine- all you need to do is buy some pre-ban mags and you're all set.

My local shop didn't have a clue about 922 compliance and told me that as long as I bought pre- ban ( before 94 ) mags that I was good to go and legal.

I am so confused about this- starting to wish I bought the WASR.... the only reason I went in there was to buy something in the assault type category with the ability to use more than 10 round mags ( HI-Cap).

uuggghh

Oh jeez... I went into the local gun shop to buy a few more boxes of ammo ( where I bought my saiga) and I got to talking about my plans for it- the response-

You're fine- all you need to do is buy some pre-ban mags and you're all set.

My local shop didn't have a clue about 922 compliance and told me that as long as I bought pre- ban ( before 94 ) mags that I was good to go and legal.

I am so confused about this- starting to wish I bought the WASR.... the only reason I went in there was to buy something in the assault type category with the ability to use more than 10 round mags ( HI-Cap).

uuggghh

Preban mags? Are you in NY?

If so, you do need pre-ban mags, if you want more than 10 rounds, but that has nothing to do with 922r. 922r is a federal thing. NY (and some other states) have their own bans, which need to be followed as well.

So let us know what state you're in, and we can help you more.

Never start to wish you bought a WASR over a Saiga! That's blasphemous!! :o

:D

Seriously though, don't regret your purchase. You've made a wise decision with picking a Saiga over a WASR.

I am in Massachusetts. I am just going to convert the damn thing and be done with it. I know I won't be happy with it in the 10 round configuration and from the info. here- the conversion is the way to go. I bought the bullet guide from Dinzag last night and am going online shopping now. I will post some pics of the build and probably be in here asking questions once my parts get here.

I am in Massachusetts. I am just going to convert the damn thing and be done with it. I know I won't be happy with it in the 10 round configuration and from the info. here- the conversion is the way to go. I bought the bullet guide from Dinzag last night and am going online shopping now. I will post some pics of the build and probably be in here asking questions once my parts get here.

Sounds good.

Looking forward to the pics.

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed a number of photos with the Tapco Saiga stock/grip and 30 round mags (not hi cap- standard). This is not compliant due to the fact they add one more part (grip). That makes it 15 parts total not 14.

When you do a full conversion the grip is a wash.

Savvy!

I've noticed a number of photos with the Tapco Saiga stock/grip and 30 round mags (not hi cap- standard). This is not compliant due to the fact they add one more part (grip). That makes it 15 parts total not 14.

When you do a full conversion the grip is a wash.

Savvy!

It depends on where the magazines are made.

Assuming the Tapco Intrafuse is the only change made:

With foreign magazine* = 14 (922r count, as imported) - 1 (Tapco Buttstock) - 0 (Tapco pistol grip - not imported with one) = 13 (Not 922r compliant)

With US made magazine = 14 - 1 (Tapco Buttstock) - 0 (Tapco pistol grip) - 3 (US made magzine) = 10 (922r compliant)

* - Adding a pistol grip requires 922r compliance, so even the factory 10 round magazine would be not compliant without swapping out other 922r parts.