Dragunov stock on a Saiga 12?

I am in NY and have a question on converting the Saiga 12 I have coming next week. I am wondering if converting it and putting a dragunov stock on it (not the one that fits the Saiga 12 unconverted but a real one that would fit a AK) would then make it a Kalashnikov style rifle and then make it illegal. I guess I should probably play it safe and put the dragunov style stock they have that bolts onto the stock Saiga 12 but I like the idea of shortening the overall length a bit. Just wondering if anyone has any idea about the legality of this off the top of their head, obviously if it is too grey an area I would check with an expert of some sort before doing it.

Its a rather interesting grey area and any expert(i'm not one) will probably tell you the same.

I can tell you that either by presidential ban on import, or by BATF rulings the standard ak dragonov stock was ruled a pistol grip, and therefor illigal to have on your saiga during the federal weapon ban.

You have to ask if a ruling on a expired federal law could bite you in the ass on a still in existance state law.

Its odd though becaws the dragonov looking stock that you can put on it without converting the trigger foward was not ruled a pistol grip to my knowledge. I havn't found anywhere where the slr-95 stock was ruled a pistol grip either, or other thumbhole stocks.

Truth is if you ask 2 people you'll get 2 opinions. Only one that matters is a judges, they interprit the laws.