Barrel Cut Down

I've heard that the .308 Saiga is more accurate from an 18" barrel than a 22" barrel due to harmonics. (vibration of the barrel)

Does anyone know if this is true or not. Has there been any research or studies done to substantiate this claim?

:blues:

Shorter barrels are just stiffer but there are several guys on here getting under 2" with a long stock barrel so unless you really want a shorter rifle?

What will your rifle do right now at 100 yards?If you really just want it more accurate then see what it will do and if it isn't in the mid 2" range then rent the crowning tool from Dinzag,press off your front sight base and cut the cap out of it and dress your crown and see if a good crown doesn't imprive things a bit.

I like 18" because it is the shortest length I can still the trajectory I want out of 143-150gr milsurp ammo.If I could get the trajectory and energy I want from a 13" barrel I'd have an S308 SBR in a heart beat,LOL

I had considered both the cut-down and re-crown options, but reading an old post on here put a damper on both plans for me. Someone mentioned that the chrome lining on these barrels extends out the end and over the crown, and that cutting and/or recrowning the barrel can eventually lead to flaking of that exposed chromed edge. Don't know enough to evaluate the validity of that claim myself... Would appreciate hearing input about whether or not this is a viable concern.

Edited by GunClinger
I had considered both the cut-down and re-crown options, but reading an old post on here put a damper on both plans for me. Someone mentioned that the chrome lining on these barrels extends out the end and over the crown, and that cutting and/or recrowning the barrel can eventually lead to flaking of that exposed chromed edge. Don't know enough to evaluate the validity of that claim myself... Would appreciate hearing input about whether or not this is a viable concern.

Only the crappiest chrome lining will flake and people get chrome lined barrels cut all the time with no trouble.I don't even remove barrels and turnt hem down anymore I just chop them on the chopsaw,stick the whole rifle in vise jaws,chuck in the cutter and squirt and turn and haven't had one flake yet.

Thanks very much for the responses, guys. That puts my mind at rest. Havn't had a chance yet to try a bunch of different loads with this long barrel to see how it prints. But unless it's really good out of the box I expect I'll be cutting it down just to make the thing a little more handy.

Thanks very much for the responses, guys. That puts my mind at rest. Havn't had a chance yet to try a bunch of different loads with this long barrel to see how it prints. But unless it's really good out of the box I expect I'll be cutting it down just to make the thing a little more handy.

cut as little as 1/8th of an inch and you could change the results significantly if it's a crown or release issue.If you sent a bolt action rifle to a master smith all he would do is fix the crown and "square" the action and the Saiga has the squarest action I have ever tested,LOL

Loading ammo from once fired and trimmed cases and making sure your release from he muzzle is good should get you below 2 inches with any of the 8 Saiga rifles I have looked at.

Edited by SOPMOD
I wonder if the gas port needs to be opened up when shortening to 18"?

I have wondered about that.I have only had 2 malfunctions but with milsurp ammo this thing lobs the empties out pretty gently since I cut it down and that may where those two malfunctions came from.

It kicks then out perfectly without even a hint of hesitation when I use commercial SAAMI spec 308 Winchester.I suppose I could have opened the gas port up a hair before pressing the gas block back on.It wouldn't need much though since it's already running as it sits with no enlargement of the gas port but I don't have an exact figure for you.

Maybe some Saiga 308 expert who's converted a few of them could tell us if the gas port hole on a 16" is larger than a 22"?