.223 Mag adapter experiances?

Nathan,

Any idea when these will be into full production and shipping??

Thanks,

Jester

Jester,

Milling has begun on the Saiga adapters this week. Anodizing is next. Shipping is still on track for the end of the month.

Thought I would add some pics just for giggles. Enjoy!

Adapter installed and an image of the milling required. You don't have to mill in that little step if you don't want, I just did it to be a smartass.

post-4495-1232314872_thumb.jpgpost-4495-1232314892_thumb.jpg

Heres what it looks like from above, empty and with a Pmag inserted.

post-4495-1232315140_thumb.jpgpost-4495-1232315159_thumb.jpg

These pics illustrate how the bolt engages the cartidges. The left pic is a stock mag, the right is a Pmag.

post-4495-1232315287_thumb.jpgpost-4495-1232315294_thumb.jpg

Gratuitous Pmag goodness

post-4495-1232315571_thumb.jpg

Hey there Nathan! I'm new to the forums and to the Saiga in general, but I've done my homework and I feel that getting a Magnolia State Armory mag adapter would be a great addition to my Saiga .223 in the long run. I have a couple of questions though:

1.) What color are the aluminum Magnolia mag adapters? Have they been dyed, or are they bare aluminum? And if they're just bare aluminum, what's your suggestions for painting it?

2.) I purchased a couple of pre-ban Israeli Orlite 30-rounders to use with the adapter. How well does the adapter accept Orlites?

3.) How close are you to completing instructions on modding the Saiga to accept the adapter?

4.) I ordered my adapter on the 19th of this month, but I heard you were already having adapters machined. Was I too late for the first wave, or will I get one along with everyone else at the beginning of February? If I'm too late, how much longer is the wait?

Hey there Nathan! I'm new to the forums and to the Saiga in general, but I've done my homework and I feel that getting a Magnolia State Armory mag adapter would be a great addition to my Saiga .223 in the long run. I have a couple of questions though:

1.) What color are the aluminum Magnolia mag adapters? Have they been dyed, or are they bare aluminum? And if they're just bare aluminum, what's your suggestions for painting it?

2.) I purchased a couple of pre-ban Israeli Orlite 30-rounders to use with the adapter. How well does the adapter accept Orlites?

3.) How close are you to completing instructions on modding the Saiga to accept the adapter?

4.) I ordered my adapter on the 19th of this month, but I heard you were already having adapters machined. Was I too late for the first wave, or will I get one along with everyone else at the beginning of February? If I'm too late, how much longer is the wait?

Dirge,

1) will be anodized black as close to the factory paint as I can

2) will be addressed in the FAQ I am in the process of making.

3) still in process of completion needing a few more pics.

4) machining process is a long one, as it takes just under a hour to mill one adapter and they will be shipped in order they are purchased. We are currently running 4 machines at a time. I hope to have more machines available to me in the coming week to ramp up orders going out. I cannot give a defiant answer at this time but hope to have a better idea come Tuesday. Please keep in mind we are milling Saiga and Galil adapters at the same time to speed up the process.

Thanks for your questions.

How difficult do you believe the milling of the trunions will be? Is there any problems that may arise to milling too much?

I'm curious if I should go buy a dremel to do it myself or take it to a gunsmith to have the work done? What would you suggest?

I do recommend a gunsmith or a machine shop to do the milling however there are some do it your it yourself types that can do it with the proper tools. I have milled to .94" on mine as this is as far as I would go for testing. .90-.92" is ideal. ArcFault has gone do different levels based on his photos one level to clear the adapter then inset and in deeper to accommodate the mag itself. This looks to be a better way to go after reviewing it. Only thing I might have done different is use a rounded bit as opposed to a square to add more strength to what is left of the trunnion.... this is just my opinion.

You should definitely go buy a dremel, you should have one anyway, its one of the most useful tools you can own.

I don't and can't speak for Nathan, but...

I personally would never do this job with a dremel, but it can be done.

If you remove to much you could make the gun unsafe, and that would be bad.

If you take it do a qualified gunsmith or a qualified machinist it will cost you some money, but you will not have to worry about screwing it up.

YMMV

Only thing I might have done different is use a rounded bit as opposed to a square to add more strength to what is left of the trunnion.... this is just my opinion.

Haha, I completely agree, I even thought of that myself. Of course I didn't think of it until after I was done, but then thats where the whole "take it to a professional" thing comes in.