anyone explain this bolt issue?

I took my 308 saiga to my local range two weeks ago and fired almost 100 rounds with one stovepipe issue. Then I fired about seven more rounds when this happened. The bolt locked and was impossible to move. I could see about 1/8 of a inch of the round pulled back from the throat. When I got back home I field stripped the rifle and removed the bolt and carrier. The round was expended. The bolt was locked forward. It took me one hour to get the thing back in but I finally did. I had first thought that the round was live and the bolt locked before the round was driven into the breech. I will take my rifle to the range again this week and fire off another 100 rounds or so and see what happens.

Check to make sure the firing pin retainign pin hasn't poked up and is binding on the underside of the carrier. I did a post on this a few years ago when testing some first run FBMG mags. The pin is actually in the cam-lug on the bolt head and, if it's sticking up even a little bit, it'll bind up the bolt to the carrier. The pin should be flush or slightly countersunk and set in with blue or red Lock-tite.

To get it to come out of battery, make sure it's unloaded and that the chambered round is actually spent. Remove the top cover and recoil spring. Use a piece of 2x4 or a non-marring mallet to whack on the charging handle until the carrier comes back comes back. [if you have a loaded round chambered and it's stuck, you been to be REALLY careful and mindful of the muzzle as you can have the safety on to knock the charging handle all the way back.]

Hope this helps...

[Edit - Here is the link to the post I did 01/07 regarding this... With pics...]

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau
Check to make sure the firing pin retainign pin hasn't poked up and is binding on the underside of the carrier. I did a post on this a few years ago when testing some first run FBMG mags. The pin is actually in the cam-lug on the bolt head and, if it's sticking up even a little bit, it'll bind up the bolt to the carrier. The pin should be flush or slightly countersunk and set in with blue or red Lock-tite.

To get it to come out of battery, make sure it's unloaded and that the chambered round is actually spent. Remove the top cover and recoil spring. Use a piece of 2x4 or a non-marring mallet to whack on the charging handle until the carrier comes back comes back. [if you have a loaded round chambered and it's stuck, you been to be REALLY careful and mindful of the muzzle as you can have the safety on to knock the charging handle all the way back.]

Hope this helps...

[Edit - Here is the link to the post I did 01/07 regarding this... With pics...]

Macbeau sends...

I was using russian brown bear ammo from barnaul which has a good reputation. I dont remember what mag I was using. I have the factory 8-rounder some 25-round surefires and 1 fbmg. I know for dure that it wasnt the surefires. By the way, to any who read this, my 25-round surefires have so far been most excellent. I will check my bolt for the problem you mentioned. But I'm gonna hate putting the bitch back together.

Hope this helps...

Macbeau sends...

I was using russian brown bear ammo from barnaul which has a good reputation. I dont remember what mag I was using. I have the factory 8-rounder some 25-round surefires and 1 fbmg. I know for dure that it wasnt the surefires. By the way, to any who read this, my 25-round surefires have so far been most excellent. I will check my bolt for the problem you mentioned. But I'm gonna hate putting the bitch back together.

It's not that bad, when you get the hang of it. but there's a trick to it that's hard to explain. Once you figure it out, there's nothing to it. If you can't figure it out, the slot in the receiver rails where the bolt goes can be enlarged just a touch and will make it easier. Hit it on the left side looking down a few strokes with a file. It's always better if you learn the trick, but if you can't. that will work.