I havent found a thread that specifically addresses the question..If I buy an AMD 65 kit..Can I use the existing trunnions with a laser cut flat and..can I replace the barrel with a Romy X39?..If I can..Is there a specific barrel required? Also are there any major issues i would have to overcome? Thanks.

I havent found a thread that specifically addresses the question..If I buy an AMD 65 kit..Can I use the existing trunnions with a laser cut flat and..can I replace the barrel with a Romy X39?..If I can..Is there a specific barrel required? Also are there any major issues i would have to overcome? Thanks.

I dont know much about the laser cut flat but you can use the 7.62x39 Romy barrel. What you can expect is changing the Gas piston (good and easy to put on a USA one anyway) and the tube. I had someone give me a Saiga gas tube (thanks Bilo) and the gun shoots fine. Headspacing is a must as with any build. The problem is that it looks like any AKM with AMD stock and grips. I have kits now with the original barrel and they look better.

IMG_0412.jpg

This is an AMD 65 kit with a Rommy barrel. The barrel was virgin so I got to drill the gas port where I wanted. Kept the AMD gas tube so to make the gas block fit I honed out the ID of the gas block so it would slide up the barrel far enough to work with the AMD gas tube. I could have used a Rommy gas tube instead but I didn't have one. If you wanted the barrel shorter you could always have it trimmed to length, but if too short then you have to deal with it being a short barreled rifle and register it with uncle fed.