AK mag conversion keeping sporter stock & forend

Belive it or not I actually prefer the sporter stock over the pistol grip variations, jst want some more capacity. OK, take a box stock saiga 7.62 x 39, add a Bulgarian "bullet guide" from kvar, and the following U.S. parts: (#1)magazine followers and (#2)floor plates ($10 for 10 sets) from rpbusa.com, (#3)hammer, (#4)disconnector, & (#5)gas piston ($59.99 from tapco), and file mag catch as necessary. Is 5 US parts the correct number and will all of the listed parts fit properly? I'm asking those of you in the know, so I don't waste my meager funds and find out the hard way. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

S!

Many posts on this subject..look around at this board. Sounds like the legal way is to convert AK mags to fit the Saiga but you must change out parts to end up with a certain amount of US parts in your rifle. You could also look at Ravent25 post about mags made for the Saiga...again you would need to change out parts to meet legal requirements per my understanding of the rules. Good luck.

I've already found a lot of good info here, but most seems to relate to the "full conversion". Just trying to figure out if the hammer and disconnector for the AK (with pistol grip) are interchangeable with the stock parts in the stock location or if they are specific to the location of the fire control group. Also curious how much of a pain it is to change the gas piston. Thanks again.

I have a set of the stock parts from a Saiga and a set of US conversion parts here in front of me now. The parts are completely different. The Saiga trigger is modified by cutting the trigger portion (that your finger goes against) of the part off. It is then operated by a pivot off the new trigger that is further back. The disconnector is pinned, in place, to the original (modified) trigger and has a different angle to it. The hammer is the same. The stock Saiga trigger parts have too much slop associated with them. You're looking at a lot of modification to the US parts to make them work. However, if you were to do it, the gas piston is a pain to change but it can be done. You could put a US buttstock on it and along with the gas piston and hammer that would make 3 parts. Just by looking at it, you might pull it off, but after machining the trigger and disconnector it may or may not work. You then need to be concerned about safety. You wouldn't want an unsafe rifle. Of course, if it didn't work you would have thrown away all of the money you paid for the US parts. I understand what you want to do but your best bet would be to add the pistol grip and US parts for a 922® compliant rifle. It is much easier to do and more cost effective.

Below is a picture of my conversion.

swon

post-5-1074201667.jpg