If I decide to do a sbs. How short can I go without moveing the gasblock and if I decide to move the gasblock how much trouble is it? Does the barrel press in the receiver like a standard AK? Also does anyone know the thread spec. on the barrel? Thanks

So if I shorten to the gas block there is still enough pressure to cycle the gun and be reliable? Another thought is to shorten and add a permanent polychoke to bring to the legal length. Has anyone done this? How long are the polychokes? Any ideas? Thanks for the help

You CAN NOT shorten the barrel all the way to the gas block; it won't cycle.

About 11" is doable without moving the block- you will have to drill out your ports though. You MIGHT be able to go a little shorter but it will limit your ammo choices.

Moving the gas block reguires a lathe and is not for beginners. It's not technically legal for you to shorten your barrel to under 18", even if you are going to weld a muzzle device on it after, so I can't advise you there.

About 11" is doable without moving the block- you will have to drill out your ports though. You MIGHT be able to go a little shorter but it will limit your ammo choices.

Moving the gas block reguires a lathe and is not for beginners.

Agree 100%

Moving the gas-block ain't no joke. I believe Tony is the guy who came up with that mod, so I would send it to him, he has more experience than anyone else in doing it, and it's his design.

When I cut mine to 12" I did not want to move the block....it was more time/work than I had to invest. I drilled the four ports out and the gun worked w/ buck. It wouldn't work reliably with WW, so I added a fifth port.

If I remember right, the gun 18" (4-port) worked w/ WW when new, before any mods. Then I chopped it to 16" to see what would happen, and it wouldn't cycle at all w/ WW. When you start chopping off inches, you should be aware it will require gas mods and/or a trip to Tromix.

Good luck.

Thanks, I didn't think I could shorten to the gas block and still be reliable. Maybe if I put a 1/2" port hole it would work. Just kidding. I know a class 2 guy that could shorten the barrel and add the choke to bring to legal length. I never looked at one of the chokes but I think it would work. I am a machinist/toolmaker and have a machine shop to play with. I just need to figure out what I want to do. ideas welcome

Are promags 10 rnd mags ok?

thanks for everyones help.

Are promags 10 rnd mags ok?

I haven't used the Saiga Promags, so I don't know. I do know that I have had terrible luck with other promag products in the past. Dozen 9mm Colt smg mags, zero worked. They replaced them, and none of them worked either.

Our promag 10/22 drum wouldn't work either.

We have had fantastic(!!!)results with the AGP mags

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

It is technically illegal to shorten the barrel for the purpose of permanently attaching a muzzle device of any kind, and the subject has been argued here several times already.

With that said, an SOT manufacturer can do the work legally for you. It just needs to be remembered that the measurement needs to be taken from the end of the choke "fingers" under the adjustable collar, not the end of the collar itself, since the collar can be completely unscrewed from the barrel, and therefore isn't permanent.

You're going to need about 2" or so of barrel past the gas block in order for it to work reliably, and the factory gas block is at about 9". As BobAsh noted, this leaves the barrel at about 11". Cutting it at 12" would be even better.