reloading buckshot with a buffer

Saiga 12 with md20 arms drum.Rcbs "the grand" reloader.Reloading 2 3/4 win shells with buckshot.The recipe calls out for 18 grains of buffer that holds the shot patterns tighter.The problem is at the center of the reloaded shell, some buffer leaks out and 60 rounds thru the saiga 12,it won't cycle as well as when clean.The question is, when reloading buckshot,is this buffer really necessary?It sure plugs the shit out of the weapon fast!I plan to reload some with and without the buffer and actually see on paper how much the pattern actually changes.If anyone has any experience with this,that would be great!!

Try it without the buffer, but I think that you will find that the resulting flats on the pellets open up your pattern.

BTW, I always seal mine with a little clear nail polish.

• 1 month later...

Dan, when you add the buffer (I've always used Cream of Wheat), just add a disk of printer paper to the shell before you crimp. It doesn't even have to be round, it can simply be a 3/4" square of scissor-cut printer paper. When you crimp the shell, that will be pressed against the crimp from the inside.

Rich

Edited by Rich L.
The buffer I used I will not use again it tends to jam up the action in my saiga quicker. I found a cool nine shot recipie that will blow a kickass pattern at 20 yards without buffer.

What is it?

I've been warned not to use buffers in loads not specifically calling for it.

Not way to read pressure on a shotshell hull, I guess.