Bullet Guide Problems

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a bullet guide for my flat trunnion Saiga 7.62 x39 and hit some troubles. After drilling through the trunnion I began to drill with the tapping bit. The directions say that you need to back the tapping bit off if it starts to tension or flex. I followed the instructions however on the third time of backing it off it broke :cryss: So now im stuck with a trunnion with a tapping bit in it and dont know what to do. any help or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a bullet guide for my flat trunnion Saiga 7.62 x39 and hit some troubles. After drilling through the trunnion I began to drill with the tapping bit. The directions say that you need to back the tapping bit off if it starts to tension or flex. I followed the instructions however on the third time of backing it off it broke :cryss: So now im stuck with a trunnion with a tapping bit in it and dont know what to do. any help or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Go to your nearest machine shop and ask them to look at it and give you a price on drilling or milling it out.If any of it is sticking out above the hole you can always try taking a pair of pliers and turning it out that way,i have gotten lucky a few times doing this.If none of these options work you can try a masonry drill bit to try and drill it yourself,but if it has to be drilled or milled out you probably will have to retap it a slightly bigger size.

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys

Am I reading the bold section correctly... you put the tap in your drill?

If so... that is pretty much guaranteed to break the tap.

Taps are supposed to be turned by hand, using a tap handle. When you feel it bind (and it will) you back off 1/4 turn or so to break off the metal chips, then continue tapping. And don't forget to use thread cutting oil (or at least motor oil... not WD40).

Advice in the post above me is sound... at this point you should take it to a machine shop. If there is enough of the tap protruding, they may be able to weld a bolt to it and turn it out. Otherwise it's likely a drilling/milling operation as stated above.

This has come up before, and people recommended just wacking the tap with a center punch. Supposedly, it should just shatter.

I'll search around for the threads.

When I was tapping for my guide, I used a hand drill. But I went slow as hell, and luckily didn't break it.

This has come up before, and people recommended just wacking the tap with a center punch. Supposedly, it should just shatter.

When I was tapping for my guide, I used a hand drill. But I went slow as hell, and luckily didn't break it.

sounds good, ill try whacking the tap with a center punch and see what happens, the only other option that was brought up to me was using jbweld. make the surface smooth and try to get the guide to stick, any opinions on that, or is that a retarded idea??

When tapping you have to use oil along with the tap.

Turn it 1/4 of a turn and back it off until you feel the chip break off.

Repeat the process.

After a few turns in--back it all the way out and flush the hole.

Then repeat the process until you're done.

You were going too far without backing off the tap.

And next time get a real expensive--good quality tap.

Not one made in China.

FRT

sounds good, ill try whacking the tap with a center punch and see what happens, the only other option that was brought up to me was using jbweld. make the surface smooth and try to get the guide to stick, any opinions on that, or is that a retarded idea??

I can't comment on the JB-Weld route. I've never used the stuff.

I found this thread though: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...70&hl=broke . It may help some. My search-fu sucks, and I couldn't find the other threads dealing with this.

Well guys all is well. I was able to get a center punch from the local hardware store and it was small enough to break the tapping bit right out. That is definitely the way to solve this problem. As for anyone else who has this problem, the previous post are right. Dont use a drill when tapping, use oil as lubricant and back that son of a bitch off if you feel it tightening up.

Thanks alot guys!

Bedye4

Well guys all is well. I was able to get a center punch from the local hardware store and it was small enough to break the tapping bit right out. That is definitely the way to solve this problem. As for anyone else who has this problem, the previous post are right. Dont use a drill when tapping, use oil as lubricant and back that son of a bitch off if you feel it tightening up.

Thanks alot guys!

Bedye4

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

first try the punch and hammer. this might not work to well. it is best to hit the tap on the start side (non blind hole). next there is a tool for removing broken 4 flue taps and they are low $$ compaired to getting a tap removed. do not redrill youll just break the drill bit or end mill. taps are in the H- tool steel range drill bits are soft. if all this fails take it (call first to get a OK !!! ,give me 3 steeps comes to mind) machine shop or smith.

get a drill press and use a tap handel like this one

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tap-handles/=qsbn9

it chuck's up in the drill press and keeps the tap alinged with the hole in or out. you might of put a side load on the tap causing the break ( it happens to all of us) just rember 1/8 to 1/4 turn then back it out to clear the chips, and after 4 or 5 threads back the tap all the way out and clean the chips from the hole and repeat. muttman2

Edited by muttman2