Another simple newbie Q

Hi all, I've spent the last 2 days reading here and I'm amazed at the complexity, diversity and knowledge base of this board. Time for me to jump in with both feet!

The good news is I just purchased my first Saiga shotty, a 1994 Big Bear Arms .410 X 3"mag.

A lot of my silly newbie Q's were answered in the research I did, but I need a little specific guidance and some picture hand holding on how to go about adding a bolt hold open (BHO) to my new toy.

I found her at a local gun show, used and dirty. (I've always been a sucker for a firm feeling', sharp edged workin' girl) She looked like she needed me. There were several other specimins on the tables, 12's 20's and some NIB's, but all were asking stupid money, $550 and up. This one was hiding on an inside rack with a $295 tag. I did my best redneck trailer trash, "AW Shucks" dance, and a $200 plastic magic wand tap later, she jumped in the truck! With a spare 4 rd mag.

I googled up this site, and with instruction's in hand, (and a cold adult beverage) she got a bath and a blow dry. The old girl cleans up pretty good, but she's obviously well used. She's stamped .410 X 3 in. mag, has no adjustable gas port or BHO tab that I can find, and a silly, short "vent rib" lookin thing welded to the gasblock. It's got one choke tube, Full I think, with knurled ring and ports and no thread protector. The trigger parts all show hard use and some "kitchin table" gunsmithin'. This is the first Saiga I've ever been inside of, but it looks like a S/F AK with a bunch of stuff (yea, THAT stuff,) missing.

I've only fired one other .410, a later model, (I shot a round of trap with it, 'cause the owner bet me I couldn't) it had the adjustable gas port and a BHO. My dove loads, 3 in, ran thru it like corn thru a goose. (it worked a lot like my REM 1100, pull back the bolt, drop one in the chamber, hit the little tab in the trigger guard and go. the bolt stayed open when the mag was inserted but empty)

Soooooo, the 64K question is how do I dress this old girl like a hard body, equally well mannered on the trap range, the dove field and chasin' hogs in the buggy. (SWMBO's HD needs are met with a Mossberg Defender .410 doing the lite work)

Thanks for lookin' and I promise to to be not so long winded in the future. Paul.

uh,... what's you question again??

GG, I need some schoolin' and a parts list to upgrade the trigger group and add a bolt hold open (BHO) to my '94 .410. I'm good with the plastic "butt ugly" furniture, but I gotta have a BHO and a good, smooth, crisp trigger.

OH, and a couple of good 10 rd mags, (for "social" occasions) and a full set of chokes,(for those days when the birds can't seem to make up thier minds) and a full length, wide rib, (to help my old eyes track together) and a decent sling, and... AH hell, ya know, STUFF.

I can see I'm gonna hafta clean up my act to properly converse with y'all, RED

OK,

well you might find someone selling a factory BHO, or wait for Cobra's,. I think he has 'em out now! you have to cut a hole/slot for it,.

or what I do is remove the safety cut a notch in it and it holds the bolt back ,.. when you drop the safety to "Fire" position it releases the bolt and loads a round, sweet! I think Cobra has a new banner here somewhere at the top,..

As for the trigger,.. Hmmm not real sure about the 410's in stock configuration, maybe someone else can chime in,..

i am waiting for a Texas AK Trigger Double Hook with BHO mod

modified for the BHO.

but you can get a tromix modified tapco single hook G2 cheaper..

just wanting to try out a new Business Member.. Texas Triggers.. hopping i see one this week...

i hear they are nice. you have to do a "little" mod to your receiver to allow the double hook.

but i hear the pull is nicer...

who knows..

will report when i do..

Edited by DrWho