converstion question / new first saiga

Ok I'm well aware of what 922r is and I've read a few conversion threads here and even seen a few videos. One thing that I found interesting was...

I just purchased my first Saiga this past weekend at a gun show, from a dealer, new in box. The trigger has TAPCO stamped into the side of it. So this confuses me since everyone here is talking about having to replace the group during conversion to be compliant. I didn't think anything about it when I purchased the rifle - I assumed the importer put that trigger in there.

So did I just get lucky and save myself some time? Is this common?

-J

Somebody put that trigger in there, it sure isn't Russian.

Is it already converted? How much did you pay?

First and foremost LOVE the Duke Nukem Avatar LOL

Regarding the conversion no it seems completely stock with exception to the trigger. I verified that the mag release IS too long for a standard AK mag, and it came with the stock buttstock.

I want a collapsable stock anyhow so I was thinking of just using the Tapco pistol grip one, then I just need the guide, file the mag release then I should be set 922r wise if I'm using the correct mag?

Paid 460 out the door btw and I live in MI - I've been trolling gunbroker for a month now and from what I've seen I got a fair deal. At first I was set on a WASR and turned off by the Saiga just because of its buttstock but once I got to handle one in person the decision was easy.

edit: it looks just like the top pic you got from Saiga's website with exception to me noticing the trigger had TAPCO stamped on it.

Edited by BIGDADDYJ
Somebody put that trigger in there, it sure isn't Russian.

Is it already converted? How much did you pay?

First and foremost LOVE the Duke Nukem Avatar LOL

Regarding the conversion no it seems completely stock with exception to the trigger. I verified that the mag release IS too long for a standard AK mag, and it came with the stock buttstock.

I want a collapsable stock anyhow so I was thinking of just using the Tapco pistol grip one, then I just need the guide, file the mag release then I should be set 922r wise if I'm using the correct mag?

Paid 460 out the door btw and I live in MI - I've been trolling gunbroker for a month now and from what I've seen I got a fair deal. At first I was set on a WASR and turned off by the Saiga just because of its buttstock but once I got to handle one in person the decision was easy.

edit: it looks just like the top pic you got from Saiga's website with exception to me noticing the trigger had TAPCO stamped on it.

the good news....

there are people out there who dont wish to convert to PG who will buy your FCG

the bad news....

if the gun is still in the original configuration then the FCG you have is NOT designed to work with the PG conversion so you will need to replace it still..

The Tapco triggers are not designed for factory Saigas.

Can you take pix of yours?

Dinzag sells a Tapco FCG that works in the factory setup..

http://dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/fcg.html

I know this.

Tapco did not design it that way, and why would the OP get a factory rifle with a Dinzag trigger in it?

The Dinzag FCG for rifles in factory configuration does not use a Tapco trigger. It uses the original factory trigger. The OP said that "Tapco" is stamped on the side of the trigger.

It's very odd if the rifle is still in factory configuration but has "Tapco" stamped on the trigger. Tapco does not make a trigger that would work in the factory configuration and I can't see why someone would go to the trouble of cutting up and customizing a Tapco trigger to install in a NIB rifle, especially since you wouldn't be able to use the rest of the Tapco trigger block after doing that. I presume that's why Dinzag doesn't sell a replacement for the actual factory trigger, just the trigger block (minus trigger), hammer, and disconnector.

I have to believe that this was a new rifle that was converted and then sold as NIB.

Who knows, strange things happen at gun shows.

The Tapco triggers are not designed for factory Saigas.

Can you take pix of yours?

I know this.

Tapco did not design it that way, and why would the OP get a factory rifle with a Dinzag trigger in it?

dont you think that its more likely that the trigger DOES say Tapco on it and its just not a %100 new rifle (keeping in mind this was a gun show).. as opposed to assuming that it IS a brand new rifle that has randomly had installed in it a US made part.....

Obviously the gun is NOT brand new UNTOUCHED with a tapco trigger (FCG)

MAYBE he is just mistaken.. that is possible as well.. im just assuming he is not mistaken..

I've been trying to post all morning and kept getting some odd error message - so sorry for the delay.

Ok everyone can put their spy glass away because I'm a f'n idiot. I must have mistaken another rifle I was looking at (at the same counter / dealer) for mine. There were like six different rifles there that all looked similar. Last night was the first time I even took it out of the box since Sunday since I've been so busy with work.

Upon further examination my stock Saiga does NOT have a tapco trigger - it appears completely stock - sorry for the confusion I'm a jackass. :angry: