Breaking In New Saiga 12

Howdy People,

I got myself my first shotgun this month...Saiga 12. Figured in the assault weapons ban goes in effect, this little gem will be first on the list to go. Hence my selling point. I have talked with a few people on the forums already and they have been fantastic to pick their brains. I am not one to like to start new topics so forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, I searched and kept getting errors for whatever reason.. pics of my new gun and the parts will be posted soon as they all come in, but this is what i have so far....

Saiga 12

Chaos Quad Rail,

Chaos Muzzle Brake

Chaos Pistol (Vert) grip

Gunfixers Gas plug

3 12 round surefire magazines

and a Tapco T6 pistol Grip stock

I was reading as much as i can before i actually shoot my gun this weekend at the club, i noticed Cobra saying something about a brake in period and how he offers services to polish the bolt ect ect..

compared to my Yugo SkS, the action, slide on my s12 has a lot more resistance and almost feels like its being dragged or forced. Just not as smooth as i think it should be.

I have about 5 or 6 different types of ammo i am going to be trying out over the weekend.. I will post what types when i get home. I have tried to figure out what you guys have recommended and what is available in my area ( Providence, RI ). Cost effective ect.

I find all the info on these forums to be extremely helpful and a godsend. Donations to folllow. Working with TR Young on some decals i am designing (thanks again)

Guess here is my questions:

I could not find a "Breaking In your Saiga12" thread anywhere. So here are my questions,

What is a good setting to have your gas plug set too when breaking your gun in, and i guess while shooting your gun in general. Could not find any specific advice. Lets just say the normal one that comes with the gun (since my gunfixers plug has yet to arrive)

Also, Ammo recommendations for breaking in gun....if that's applicable.

how many rounds till successfully broken in?

any addition input would be GREATLY appreciated.

this forum has been great, it is very overwhelming with information.

I am sorry if i totally missed what i am asking in another forum, if so, i will be happy to take a redirection and a slap in the head.. X.x

Again, really appreciate the help.

one more thought, you guys should put a glossary of terms you use for your abbreviations. There are a lot of them on the forums and can be confusing to a new member. having a place to go and figure them out would be great. o.0

x

Thanks again guys and gals, your the best!

(if this stuff has been posted before, just slap me)

jake-

Welcome!

There is a lot of stuff on this site and the other Saiga 12site. I'm new to the weapon too. Been at it for about six months. One thread I always go back to is:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20234

There are linx in it to other threads with even more pix and explanations. My gun will eat everything so far but seems to like Winchester #7 field loads for competition. Great gun! You will not be disappointed.

Welcome!

There is a lot of stuff on this site and the other Saiga 12site. I'm new to the weapon too. Been at it for about six months. One thread I always go back to is:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20234

There are linx in it to other threads with even more pix and explanations. My gun will eat everything so far but seems to like Winchester #7 field loads for competition. Great gun! You will not be disappointed.

This is only my second post. I'm new to so far I got it to recycle fine.

Recycle what? Do you mean cycle?

Most of the questions you ask are posted here, just use the search function; especially ammo, that horse has been beaten dead, reincarnated as a giraffe and beaten to death again just for good measure.

Varies gun to gun, my early 2000 S12 worked fine on the first round.

Recycle what? Do you mean cycle?

Most of the questions you ask are posted here, just use the search function; especially ammo, that horse has been beaten dead, reincarnated as a giraffe and beaten to death again just for good measure.

Varies gun to gun, my early 2000 S12 worked fine on the first round.

I figured that much, But like i said in the first post. For whatever reason, i kept getting an error while i was using the search function while looking for some stuff. Searching for ammo over 25 posts came up and i checked through most of them.

I still think it would be helpful to many new users if there was a section that included a breaking in process or First step mods, recommendations for ammo ect. All in one spot. Cause like i said, this forum is fantastic for info, and it can be overwhelming almost.

I am new to shotguns in general so even the ammo is new to me. I have many other types, styles, calibers of firearms. First shotty. I picked up some of the following ammo to test target and clay shooting.

Remington - Slugger- 12g 2 3/4 15plastic shell shot.

Federal Premium 12g 2 3/4 Rifled Slug HP Vital-Shok

Federal 12g 2 3/4 9 Pellets -00Buck Power-Shok

Royal buck special Low Recoil 12g 2 3/4 9pellet 00buck

Estate 12g 2 3/4 9 pellet 00buck

Fiocchi 12g 2 3/4 8 shot Clay Target Rounds

and some Brenneke Tactical Home Defense Rounds 12g 2 3/4 Slugs, (says for smoothbore and rifled barrels )

Any thoughts on these type and what would be best to work the gun in with ? I bought a case of the Remington, Estate, and Fiocchi. Case of each.

Stellar, I have in fact been referencing that post quite a bit, as i have with the rest of the posts here. Honestly spend a solid month or so on this site just reading before i posted :) Thanks again

thanks again,

There are a lot of mixed reports using the cheap-ass wallyworld Winchester ammo; I don't even bother with their ammo any more after getting burned .. or literally not burned, I guess. Would love to hear a range report of your luck with each ammo type; a lot of ammo is per gun, problem guns have issues cycling lower power loads, because there's not enough pressure for the bolt to cycle or the gas tube holes are plugged up. I think I used the Federal 00 Buck before, though it has been awhile since I've been to the range.

If your bolt is too rough, Cobra does offer a service to smooth the carrier and such, though if you're handy you should be able to DIY, there are some pics of what you need to smooth, somewhere. If your gas tube holes are plugged, you can try to clear them with a dental pick, if they aren't drilled all the way, you should send your shotgun in for warranty repair BEFORE you mod it.

For starters I am NO expert.

That said, I bought my S12, took it home, read the directions ( or should I say "translated"

the directions). Then field stripped and cleaned and oiled ( as per the instructions ).

I then took it to the range and shot it. I have shot Remington OO buck as well as Slugs

and 7.5 and 8 bird shot. All have cycled flawlessly on setting 1.

Maybe I just got lucky and got one the guns a supervisor worked on or something.

Or maybe they didn't get the Vodka ration that day. I don't know. All I know is its not that complicated.

Just shoot it.