First off let me start by saying I don't know what the bill is or will be called but in the June of 07 Shotgun News that's what they called it but what I am talking about is the assault rifle ban.

My question is if this bill go's threw will it be illegal to still convert them to have pistol grips and muzzle brakes. I would like to to covert one in 308, 7.62 and in 223. With the rising coast I would like to buy all 3 calibers and then convert them some time in the future but if I am in a race I guess the 308 is going to be the winner.

Sorry if this is a little hard to understand I wasn't even exactly sure how to word it. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
If any AWB goes through it will probably become illegal to convert your "sportster" weapons, though this is just speculation.

Your speculation is probably correct. However, I have a question for you. If you do the conversion yourself, how do they know/prove when it was done? I don't do my own conversions so that is really a non-issue for me. I am not suggesting anyone do anything illegal but I do think it is a reasonable query.

Arguably, by the time stamp on any pictures you have. Although any idiot can set their PC and camera date to stamp it with anything they want. Also by bills of sale for parts. What I actually expect to happen is for the next ban to include a provision that bans the sales of parts as well as the firearms themselves, and bars manufacturer servicing of existing civilian firearms after the original warranty expires. This would prevent people from performing a conversion, as well as eventually eliminate these weapons as parts wear out and they cannot be repaired.

Edited by Mike the Wolf