Loading problems and gouges in rounds

My 223 has been having problems loading rounds and the bolt is catching on the middle of them gouging deeply. Tried different ammo and had the same result. Anyone else had this problem before? Mine is EAA imported (bought it from a friend) so i don't know if RAA would take it in even if it was a manufacturer defect. Any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to ruin another vacation up north.

Sounds like your magazines are sitting too low. Did you file your magazine catch at all or is this an unconverted rifle?

I thought that may be the problem. It's unconverted and I was using the mags that i got when i purchased the rifle from a friend

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/123650000/123...ix240389156.jpg

i don't know if they're modified because i don't know whether they'd work in a saiga otherwise.

Sounds like your magazines are sitting too low. Did you file your magazine catch at all or is this an unconverted rifle?

I thought that may be the problem. It's unconverted and I was using the mags that i got when i purchased the rifle from a friend

i don't know if they're modified because i don't know whether they'd work in a saiga otherwise.

OK, do those mags have 5.56 followers? A lot of people have feeding problems when using standard 5.45 mags with 5.56 ammo. I would try using a magazine that is designed for use with 5.56. If that turns out to be your problem I'd be more than happy to buy those mags from you. :angel:

Take the bolt out and insert the mag. Look at where the mag touches the magrail from the top. Is the mag firmly against the rail? If it's not touching the rail at the back of the mag, the mag has been worked on or the magcatch is too far away from the receiver. Correct that and it'll work. If it does touch the magrail in the back, the follower is the wrong one.

• 2 weeks later...