LIGHT 12GUAGE SLUG LOAD

I would like to know how light I can go on a slug load and still cycle my S12. These loads will be for informal target plinking on silouets and the lighter the load the less abusive it will be on the targets and there will be no need to burn up more powder than needed. I was hoping for around 900 to 1000fps as a ball park but I dont know if this will cycle the gun. Then agian if I go light enough I could just run it like a bolt action right? Not as much fun though :rolleyes: .

Thanks

Sasquatch

I was using something like 13 gr (I forget the exact) of international clays for my 7/8 oz lee sabot slugs... It's not in the book so I don't recommend it just because of that.

It's one of those "fire and drink coffee until it hits" loads. Like I have videos and you can see the slug flying to the target on the video, from behind the gun you can see the slug fly to the target and adjust POI do hit the target. I have a 20mm Ammo can full of them, without a doubt my favorite load.

My math says they should be about 900fps, even still 900fps with a 380gr projectile is pretty powerful. Like at 40-50 yards it'll go through a pretty big log.

What I did was started low and worked my way up until the gun cycled, then went the next bushing larger for reliability. I think I was useing right around 13 gr and the lightest load with that powder is shown as 19 gr at 1200fps with the same wad but shooting shot not slugs..

So I'd think you could do a reduction like that with what ever powder your using.

Edited by csspecs