Saiga tech triggerguard, or PG nut

Well what do ya think.

I'm helping someone do a conversion on an S-12. The question I'm being asked is in regards to cutting an additional hole into the reciever for the PG nut. Will it weaken the reciever enough to justify spending the extra $50.00 and use the saiga tech trigger guard to advoid further removal of material???

What do you guys think?

Well of course any hole will tend to weaken the object that it is in, but then again the gun was designed with the hole in mind. On the other hand the receiver is strengthened by the addition of a brace in this location, which the Saigatech is. How that will effect the long term durability of the firearm remains to be seen, but it was one of the factors I took into account with using that part on mine. I know that it does make the pistol grip stay tighter!

The shotgun now costs around $600 and will most likely go up, specially once it is converted. The finished looks, strength, solving the trigger stop problem, and convenience of the part made the cost a no-brainer for me!

It was a no brainer for me to do it the conventional way on all my Saigas. IMO the DIY TGs are just for convenience if the person doing the conversion doesn't have the means to do the full conversion. It is no way superior to the conventional method of putting the weapon back into it's intended designed configuration.

Most all stamped AKs suffer from the problem of the pistol grip working itself loose because the grip nut is only supported by a thin piece of sheet metal. This is why companies like Kreb's make pistol grip reinforcement plates. It is a flaw in the weapons design that either the Kreb's plate, the Tromix DIY or the Saigatech product correct. With the Saiga the problem is compounded by the fact than when restoring the firearm to its original design that even more holes are created in addition to those that are vesicular to the US conversion.

Many nice conversions have been done and I am sure that they are functioning fine without the benefit of these afore mentioned parts. But that does not mean that they these parts do not make the design stronger.

It is quite difficult to make a metal part stronger by drilling even more holes in it, but you are welcome to try... :) In addition all of this overlooks the truss-plate effect of some of these protucts.