Missing Rail!

I was looking at a friends new S12, and noticed it looked a little different. It took me 3 times to notice it did not have an optics rail. This was a NIB late 08 with just two gas ports. Now this gun has never had a rail, the holes aren't there and they've not been welded over. At this point I'm uncertain if it was a 19" or 24" barrel because I just got hung up on the missing rail.

So, what's up with this? Is it unusual or common?

FWIW, I liked the clean look of the receiver without the rail so much I'm thinking about removing it from my gun.

I was looking at a friends new S12, and noticed it looked a little different. It took me 3 times to notice it did not have an optics rail. This was a NIB late 08 with just two gas ports. Now this gun has never had a rail, the holes aren't there and they've not been welded over. At this point I'm uncertain if it was a 19" or 24" barrel because I just got hung up on the missing rail.

So, what's up with this? Is it unusual or common?

FWIW, I liked the clean look of the receiver without the rail so much I'm thinking about removing it from my gun.

One of the models, 24" maybe? Does not/ did not come with an side optic rail.

Edited by lipadj46
Neither of my 19" S12s has a top rail,one 07 and the other 08.

Just the dovetailed rear and a pin.

We are talking side rails to mount an AK type scope mount not a top rail.

Gotcha

I was thinking of the top rail my S20 has,my 12s do have the side scope mount rails.