308 Availability and questions (NEWBIE)

Greetings. I am a new guy on the forum. Great forum and great info!

I have not owned a Saiga, and just recently stumbled upon what I think is the best value rifle on earth. I recently sold my SKS (fun rifle, but I sold it to upgrade to a high power rifle) I have not held a Saiga .308 yet, but hope to find one at the gunshow coming up for the touch and feel. (probably won't buy one, because most gunshows ive been to are a ripoff...!!!)

I have two questions:

1. Availability (this seems like an issue) (I am looking for the 20" bbl)

So far, as of today, I called Southern Ohio gun (no .308's, but they hope to have 7.62's in mid march, CDNN is OUT (they don't know when they will be in). Gunbroker has a few .308's but the prices are over the 325 + FFL + Ship and your are up to 360-375 range. That is getting to be a lot. I guess EAA has quit importing...if prices go up, FN/FAL, CETME, GARAND, or even M1-A might be a better choice..that would be sad.... :( What is reasonable out the door for a 20" barrel, snythetic copy? Any advice? Buy now?

2. Recoil

I enjoyed the 7.62 X 39 light recoil, but want a little more accuracy and power for possible white tail hunting, and longer range shooting.

I have fired 30-06 bolt guns and after 15 or so rounds I have about had it...(call me recoil sensitive) With a .308 Saiga, could you run through 20? 30? 50? rounds in a sitting without feeling beat up? How is the recoil? Is it brutal? I know it is subjective, but I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

You can get one for $299.95 from Gilberts guns. I got mine there as well as others on here. No tax, but add $20 shipping. They've got the synthetics in stock right now, wood ones are sold out. Give em a call tomorrow if you want to know what exactly they've got, I'll be working there tomorrow and would be glad to check for you. (1-877-YES-GUNS or 502-227-7889)

The Saiga line is going to be coming in through Louisville (KY) soon and availability will pick back up (so don't pay too much just because you can't find them right now). I can tell you that Gilbert's prices haven't gone up since EAA stopped importing. If there is a 308 model you want that they don't have, let them or I know and it can be ordered. Although the supply of shotguns is gone, the 308s have been the easiest to get.

An FAL, CETME, Garand, or M1A in the $300 range isn't going to be near the quality of a newly manufactured weapon imported straight from Russia (from the same factory that makes their AKs) with 100% Russian parts. Those other guns, if even found for that kind of price, are going to be poorly remanufactured from parts kits (probably from Century<_< )

As far as recoil, if you've ever shot a 308 bolt action, then I can tell you that the Saiga recoils less. Obviously the giant recoil spring helps absorb some of the recoil. Now the hollow plastic stock may not be to your liking. There is a slip on recoil pad at walmart that'll fit, or you can convert it to take AK stocks including thumbhole stocks with recoil pads built on. I've got the ATI fiberforce stock on mine right now and it doesn't bother me.

http://www.gilbertsguns.com/store/products...y141/index.html

KySoldier,

I called today around 2? or 3? OK Afternoon sometime. I Got all the info I needed. (Price, hours, shipping, payment methods, availability, etc) Gilbert's is a good outfit.

I still want to touch and feel one at the local gun show coming up first weekend in march before taking the jump.

I am somewhat torn with .308 vs 7.62 X 39. The 7.62 X 39 sure was fun to shoot, but .308 has so much more power and is more humane for deer...(unless i am at 100yds or less, which is often not the case in a plains state.)

I love semi's and these Saigas look like my kind of rifle.

Regards

jbmortensen

:rolleyes:

Oh, ok, I guess you must have talked to someone else. We were REALLY busy in there. As for the caliber, you do what you think is best. Personally, I'd go for the 308, in whichever barrel length. You can get an AK in 7.62x39, or buy a saiga and convert it yourself for the same money (just more effort). Personally, I don't mind just getting the AK straight up, accuracy on it isn't what I'm looking for...for accuracy, I go for the 308 Saiga (which absolutely begs for conversion since the factory trigger sucks). But, you do what you want. Hope the gunshow goes well.

CONVERSION = http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

That is just about ALL YOU WILL EVER NEED TO KNOW.... (minus those little tricks, from experience, to make it easier...I can do a conversion COMPLETE in about an hour and 15 minutes, with hand tools, and a dremel. :)

:smoke:

Edited by IndyArms