California Newbie with ? on Saiger rifle

I live in California (actually in San Diego) and I have never bought a semi-automatic rifle. I want one for defense as it looks like our country is going the wrong way.

My questions:

1) Which caliber do you prefer for using the Saiga as a defense weapon?

2) Are the unmodified Saiga rifles legal in California. A local gun dealer has them in stock (for an inflated price) and says they're legal but one of the online sites says thay cannot be purchased for shipment to California.

Thank you for reading this and I would appreciate any input you have.

I live in California (actually in San Diego) and I have never bought a semi-automatic rifle. I want one for defense as it looks like our country is going the wrong way.

My questions:

1) Which caliber do you prefer for using the Saiga as a defense weapon?

2) Are the unmodified Saiga rifles legal in California. A local gun dealer has them in stock (for an inflated price) and says they're legal but one of the online sites says thay cannot be purchased for shipment to California.

Thank you for reading this and I would appreciate any input you have.

Personally, for Home Defense the best gun is a shotgun, but if you want a rifle I would recommend the 7.62.

In regards to the second question, a semi auto rifle that has a detachable mag with a sporting stock is legal as long as it does not have the ability to accept more than 10 rounds. As soon as you put a pistol grip on it or throw in more than 10 rounds, then you have an assault rifle-not legal. (there are ways to have a pistol grip and have it be legal, but you mentioned unconverted.)

Hope this helps

Darin

See this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=33919

I'm sure there are others on this site as well.

www.calguns.net is also a really good resource.

Lots of places out-of-state won't deal with Kalifornia either because they don't know the laws, and/or it's a big pain in the ass. I think out-of-state operations have to register with CA DOJ, and just don't want to deal with it, which is understandable. But there are places out of state that will sell to Kali.

As hallboss said, in stock form, they're 100% legal, and if you want to add the 'evil features', you need a magazine lock (aka a fixed or non-detachable magazine).

And if you convert, don't forget about 922r (everywhere, not just Kali).

Good luck.

nine-seven,

in that other post, where did you read that a rifle has to be 30" or longer?

I'm not nine-seven, but if you don't mind me butting in . . .

California Penal Code section 12276.1(a)(3) defines "assault weapon" as "a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches."

Other rifles have a minimum overall length of 26 inches.

Please be aware that if the rifle has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall length is measured with the stock in the folded/collapsed position.

- Jack (calguns.net alum)

nine-seven,

in that other post, where did you read that a rifle has to be 30" or longer?

I'm not nine-seven, but if you don't mind me butting in . . .

California Penal Code section 12276.1(a)(3) defines "assault weapon" as "a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches."

Other rifles have a minimum overall length of 26 inches.

Please be aware that if the rifle has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall length is measured with the stock in the folded/collapsed position.

- Jack (calguns.net alum)

Don't mind me, I'm just learning to read....I can't get shotgun's out of my head, completely slipped he was talking about rifle's...