Filing Magazine Catch

Hey there!

I recently purchased a Saiga 7.62x39 and I'm impressed...

I've been around a bit reading before I took the plunge and started any mods.

Anyways, I ordered the bullet guide and filed my mag catch and bought a couple Tapco composite mags.

When I was filing the mag catch I went slowly...or so I thought. I filed until I heard the Tapco mag click into place. Well, just the other day I bought a 5rd metal mag. I noticed the Tapco had a little play inbetween the mag release tab on the rifle and the catch tab on the mag. Perhaps 1/8th inch play that I can hear and feel when I shake the mag. The metal mag has a little more, close to 1/4 inch! :rolleyes:

Soooo.......Saiga gurus....I ask for your almighty opinion...will this cause any problems in the future? Also, do you guys have a little play in between the catch tab and the mag on your Saiga?

Just a little anxious to get to the range and test this new guide from Dinzag and I hope I didnt file the catch tab on the rifle down too far! Looks like Id have to buy a whole new trigger assembly to replace the tab!

Thanks guys!

Keep on rockin'

I think the first problem was buying a tapco magazine. Second problem was modding your rifle to use a tapco magazine. Only real suggestion I can give you it to go to Numrich's web site and order a new magazine latch. You don't need to change the trigger guard and all that other shit, just the magazine latch.

You can drill out the rivet and replace the mag catch. Use a screw an selk locking nut to replace rivet, if nothing else.

Have you tried a mil-surp metal in it?

What rivet are you talking about?

• 2 months later...
I think the first problem was buying a tapco magazine. Second problem was modding your rifle to use a tapco magazine. Only real suggestion I can give you it to go to Numrich's web site and order a new magazine latch. You don't need to change the trigger guard and all that other shit, just the magazine latch.

What's wrong with Tapco mags? I tried a search but Tapco and Magazines seem to be discussed in almost every thread :ded:

What's wrong with Tapco mags? I tried a search but Tapco and Magazines seem to be discussed in almost every thread :ded:

Word is that Tapco struck out when it comes to making magazines. Do not know first hand but I will not buy. Many of their other parts are quality and many on this forum use Tapco products .......