I've started my journey into the world of motorcycling. Well, all I really did was go get my motorcycle permit :D . But hey, it's farther along than I was last summer. I plan on taking the MSF course at the local HD shop soon, too.

Anyway, my plan is to get my license (no road test needed if you pass the MSF course :super: ) just to have it, and get a used dirtbike to mess around with until I get a street bike. Mainly to get used to 2 wheels.

So my question is this: I've always heard that you need to "rebuild" the motor after X amount of hours on a dirtbike. What exactly is involved in this "rebuild"? Is it an actual rebuild of some kind, or simply swapping out a few parts? Really, I just want to know if it's something someone new to bikes can do (I'm not a mechanic by any means, even with cars) or if it's an expensive procedure that requires shop time or a lot of know-how.

Also, does this "rebuild" apply to 2-strokes only, or 4-strokes as well?

The rebuild stuff applies mainly to two-strokes. Every so often, you have to do a top end on them. Its not a big job since they don't have valves, cams or other shizzle above the piston. Unfortunately, that rebuild business also applies to the newer motocross worthy four-strokes. On the two-strokes, there's sometimes some machining involved. On the four-strokes, its lots of tolerance checking and parts replacement.

My advice would be to stay away from both the two-strokes and the high tune four-strokes and get something like a Honda XR or Suzuki DR. These are off-road and dual-sport bikes that they've been building for decades. They aren't the lightest or the fastest. But they are stupid reliable. Keep gas in the tank and oil in the engine and it'll run. Period. No rebuilding needed. No valve and cam inspections every 500 miles. Push the botton, or kick the lever, and they start.

Plus, there are dual-sport bikes in the XR and DR lines. Dual-sport means that the can be registered for use on the street but are also comfortable off road. Pick something like that up and get it a tag on it and you could learn until you're comfortable in the dirt, then start taking to the street to learn and get comfortable on a bike you're already familiar with.

Edited by jswledhed
The rebuild stuff applies mainly to two-strokes. Every so often, you have to do a top end on them. Its not a big job since they don't have valves, cams or other shizzle above the piston. Unfortunately, that rebuild business also applies to the newer motocross worthy four-strokes. On the two-strokes, there's sometimes some machining involved. On the four-strokes, its lots of tolerance checking and parts replacement.

My advice would be to stay away from both the two-strokes and the high tune four-strokes and get something like a Honda XR or Suzuki DR. These are off-road and dual-sport bikes that they've been building for decades. They aren't the lightest or the fastest. But they are stupid reliable. Keep gas in the tank and oil in the engine and it'll run. Period. No rebuilding needed. No valve and cam inspections every 500 miles. Push the botton, or kick the lever, and they start.

Plus, there are dual-sport bikes in the XR and DR lines. Dual-sport means that the can be registered for use on the street but are also comfortable off road. Pick something like that up and get it a tag on it and you could learn until you're comfortable in the dirt, then start taking to the street to learn and get comfortable on a bike you're already familiar with.

I've seriously thinking about those dual-sports. But I really want a sportbike of some kind (been looking at an '01 GSXR-600) for when I get on the street. I'd still like to have an off-road bike for fun too.

So I'll look more into the 4-strokes. From what I've seen, they seem to be cheaper than the 2-strokes anyway.

Safety first my friend:

http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/

Yakdung

Of course bro. I need to get one, even before I sign up for the MSF course. You have to bring your own to the classes.