question on eye relief

i know my first question today was probably idiotic but is 2" enough eye relief for my 308?

That depends on 2 things...

1. Are you getting a full field of view from edge to edge in the ocular lens? If you see only a small circle of whatever your looking at that moves around a lot that is surrounded by a thick ring of blackness, then no, you do not have eye relief.

2. Do you like having a black eye? If you do then your golden, if not then your gonna want 4" of eye relief.

Some of the scopes I've seen out there only offers 3in to 3-1/2in of eye relief. Is that enough or is 4in the minimum recommended distance for eye relief?

well, the amount of eye relief you will want depends entirely on how hard your gun recoils and how you shoot it. The S308 recoils pretty light compared to some other 308 rifles because the action soaks up a lot of the recoil energy. So I would guess that a scope that gives you 3 - 4" of eye relief would be good when mounted properly to the S308...I happen to like lots of eye relief so I generally like to mount my scopes to give me 4" of relief, however.

Also, a lot of the lower end variable power scopes don't maintain the same eye relief across the magnification settings. This happend to me with a Bushnell 3-9 variable scope I bought for my Savage 30-06, I mounted it on the 3x setting then cranked it up to 9 to shoot some paper and didn't realize that my eye had to be to close to the scope to see through it and promptly gave myself a circular gash around my eye...that sum-bitch is mounted on my 10/22 now.