Shot my new Saiga for the first time

I actually decided to get my S12 before I found this forum and have found the resources here to be invaluable in figuring things out and what to check on my gun, so I thank everyone here for saving my sanity.

While my new S12 is the 23rd gun in my collection :devil:, it is the first shotgun I have shot. It is also one of the most fun and devastating weapons I have!

I tried a few different loads to test for function before I start my conversion to pistol grip. I have tried searching but its hard to come up with the information that matches my questions.

All the ammo I tried was Winchester brand from Walmart. I first tried light target loads, which would not cycle, even on setting 2, not even a stove-pipe. The heavy target loads stove-piped on setting 1 and cycled fine on setting 2. The 00 buck worked fine on setting 1, as I would expect. It may even have cycled well enough on a lower setting than 1. Is this pretty normal behavior for a S-12?

It is a three-hole gun, all visible and clear from the gas port, although one hole is a little canted to one side. Would the easiest (and best) fix be to use the gunfixer gas plug? I am thinking for birdshot and light target to cycle properly, it just needs to syphon off a little bit more gas than setting 2 will give me. Also, the -1 setting may be helpful for the 00 buckshot.

Would the Gunfixer Gas plug be a likely fix for this issue? Has anyone else had similar issues fixed by this product?

If it only cycles heavier loads, its not the end of the world, but if I ever decide to start hunting Quail, it seems like it would be fun to bag a whole bunch of them at once with the Saiga, rather than with a pump.

Thanks in advance

Yes, the new plug should help with the different ammos. You can dial up the gas better. Kings Armory gas tappet would help also if you need to go that route.

Winchesters are about the bottom of the barrel for bulk packs. Try Federal and that should help. Made a difference for me and my drum.

There is a thread tacked up top that tells you what you can smooth out that will help cycle your rounds. Most shoot heavy loads at the start to help smooth things out and break in the shotty.

Glad you are enjoying your new boom stick. Have fun.

Edited by Delta 5.56
I actually decided to get my S12 before I found this forum and have found the resources here to be invaluable in figuring things out and what to check on my gun, so I thank everyone here for saving my sanity.

While my new S12 is the 23rd gun in my collection :devil:, it is the first shotgun I have shot. It is also one of the most fun and devastating weapons I have!

I tried a few different loads to test for function before I start my conversion to pistol grip. I have tried searching but its hard to come up with the information that matches my questions.

All the ammo I tried was Winchester brand from Walmart. I first tried light target loads, which would not cycle, even on setting 2, not even a stove-pipe. The heavy target loads stove-piped on setting 1 and cycled fine on setting 2. The 00 buck worked fine on setting 1, as I would expect. It may even have cycled well enough on a lower setting than 1. Is this pretty normal behavior for a S-12?

It is a three-hole gun, all visible and clear from the gas port, although one hole is a little canted to one side. Would the easiest (and best) fix be to use the gunfixer gas plug? I am thinking for birdshot and light target to cycle properly, it just needs to syphon off a little bit more gas than setting 2 will give me. Also, the -1 setting may be helpful for the 00 buckshot.

Would the Gunfixer Gas plug be a likely fix for this issue? Has anyone else had similar issues fixed by this product?

If it only cycles heavier loads, its not the end of the world, but if I ever decide to start hunting Quail, it seems like it would be fun to bag a whole bunch of them at once with the Saiga, rather than with a pump.

Thanks in advance

Yes the KA piston and Gunfixer knob will allow the gun to eat a greater variety of ammo.

Thanks in advance

Read my thread Live Fire After Action Review. Critical performance enhancing parts are: GUNFIXER plug, KA Puck, and 25% reduced hammer spring.