Saiga Conversion almost complete

Its been in the works for a little while now. I finally did the pistol grip conversion today. The BHO process was a major pain. I read every thing on the net I could find about how to do it. Those were some of the most confusing ideas i heard in a while. I dont know if I was just misunderstanding the way they were written but I figured out a simple way to do it that was able to be completed in a few seconds with only a pair of needle nose pliers and an excess trigger pin.

Then i was having issues with my dinzag trigger guard until i reshaped it. it was to square and the trigger kept getting hung up. Then the pistol grip bolt i got from dinzags was to long with my K-var grip. I think it was one that slipped by the quality control too lol. Its screwdriver slot split the metal with 90% on one side and the remaining adjacent piece was broken also. It was about a 1/8" to long and left slack space. That was no prob since i had one extra from carolinas shooters supply left over. Was just right on the length.

All in all though, it was a really easy process. First time to ever do a trigger job on gun. Its easily as simple as people talk about if not easier to do. I still have a few things left that need done. I must finish contouring the Surefire rail, need to alter the BHO for shorter length, add my front sight block, and repaint on the receiver.

3464034863_96d435f117_o.jpg

Parts used:

Romanian stock that I refinished.

Gas tube with cheese grater guard.

Dinzags modded tapco trigger w retaining plate

Trijicon FSB post.

K-var glossy pistol grip.

Derlon buffer.

dinzags trigger guard

hungarian sling

surefire tri rail forearm

cmmg foldable grip

utg scope mount

surefire mag

thanks guys.

(total noob question)

i have been wondering about my sight block. is it able to be reused after being removed if the pins are drilled out? It looks like it would just be easier to cut it along the side to remove it rather than all the time to drill the pins and press it off.

Very nice build.

Yes, the FSB is reusable after it has been pressed off as long as it isn't damaged in the process... If you cut it off, then obviously it won't be reuseable unless you weld it back on.

Edited by gothchick
Very nice build.

Yes, the FSB is reusable after it has been pressed off as long as it isn't damaged in the process... If you cut it off, then obviously it won't be reuseable unless you weld it back on.

thanks gothchick. i really dig you 223 in the show'n tell thread. Also, i wasnt sure if the FSB would be able to be repinned after a drilling so thanks there also.

I just got in from test shooting. Worked great. So much smoother fire control. I was sorta worried since i never did any sort of gunsmithing before. I have much tool, woodwork, auto mech experience though. I am glad i didnt spend money at the gunsmith to do it. However, I will have to with the FSB.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you thread your barrel or just remove part of the shroud ?

I am also in the Houston area.

well howdy,

i was planning to thread the barrel and removed some of shroud; but i have a larger barrel that would have required a 15x1Lh, so i opted for a new front sight block.