Which SAIGA... .223 or 7.62? I have to choose one.

I bought a Saiga on Gun Broker. It was listed as a 7.62X39 but they also have the .223. I complete the deal tomorrow.

I've been reading all day and this forum has a lot of information, but I am unable to find a comparison of Saiga or AKs in both calibers. I have found comparisons of ARs and AKs, but I would like to know which is a better round in the Saiga platform.

I'm interested in a defensive rifle for ranges out to 100 yards, maybe a little more. If my targets are further than that, I can run and get better cover. I'm not interested in sniping at 300 or 400 yards. I want the most reliable round with the best power at 100 yards. Reliability is prime.

You guys are probably the most knowledgeable base I can find. So, which Saiga should I order? The 7.62X39 or the .223?

Thanks. Ted

Edited by TedG954

That's a tough call. Each has it's virtues. The 7.62X39= more power, can use it hunting, many more cheaper mags (after conversion and bullet guide). The .223= more accurate, more ammo availability, lighter ammo.

To answer your question, in today's world, I would lean towards the .223 as I see the ammo issue is bigger and .223 is home grown and more available. Even though the mags (after conversion to 922r compliance) are more expensive they are of a very good quality. If power is the issue you can't go wrong with the .308. Your interest of defensive rifle out to 100 yards describes the 7.62X39 to a tee.

I made it easy. got them both!

Hope this helps,

Drink'm if ya got em!

I want the most reliable round with the best power at 100 yards. Reliability is prime.

I think you answered your own question there. The X39's tapered case + heavier bullet + widely available quality magazines (after conversion) makes the X39 pretty much a no-brainer for you. Ammo availibility brought up by fluid power is something to consider, however lots of domestic manufactures make quality X39 ammo...

That's not to say the .223 isn't groovy in it's own right (it's the one I have, after all) but I think for what you require, the X39 might suit you better...

• 1 month later...