Anybody know of a good vest or chest rig that will hold Saiga 223 30 rounders like the Pro mags or the SureFires? Will the pouches that are advertised to hold normal AK mags work alright? I'm looking at BlackHawk vests or DiamondBackTactical AK chest rigs... anyone have experience using these with the Saiga mags?

Anybody know of a good vest or chest rig that will hold Saiga 223 30 rounders like the Pro mags or the SureFires? Will the pouches that are advertised to hold normal AK mags work alright? I'm looking at BlackHawk vests or DiamondBackTactical AK chest rigs... anyone have experience using these with the Saiga mags?

I prefer the Russian lifchik, if you can find one, and there aren't cheap.

on the cheap, you can use a chinese AK chest rig, it will work just fine.

Or you could check out one of the business members on this forum "The Vest Guy"

I'm pretty sure that he has several items that may work for you or he will custom build anything you want in just about any color. Just another option for you.

Good choice going with a chest rig! I have tried all of the vests, belts, and tactical "man-purses" out there, and nothing beats the comfort and utility of the chest rig.

I have several different chest rigs I use for training and for local fun shoots.

I do not like the Chinese or Russian rigs. They are not built as well as others, the skinny shoulder straps cut into you during a day of training with a vest full of 30 rounders. They also lack the Molle loops for attaching pistol holsters (which is the way to go with a chest rig), pistol mags, and dump pouches.

I bough a Shihan chest rig, but ended up selling it to another guy. The pockets are made to store 2 30 rounders per pouch, which sticks out too far and hangs up on your rifle when slung across your chest. If you only add 1 mag per pouch, they fit loosely and bounce around quite a bit while running.

I finally settled on 2 rigs;

The top one is the Eagle AK chest rig. I use it for training classes and love it. It is also reasonably priced. It is very light, compact, and has just enough Molle attachments to carry what you need. The straps are comfortable and it has the best mag pouches for AK 30 rounders that you will find - and retains them well. I can go comfortably in and out of prone with it and can run full speed without bouncing or anything falling out. If you also train in cars, this rig is perfect.

The bottom rig is a Condor molle chest rig. I set this one up myself for local fun shoots and it is very fast. It has the best straps of any chest rig. It is a little heavy though as it has a fold-up molle panel that covers the heart area and accepts trauma plates. This rig is overbuilt and will probably outlast me.

post-10946-1242199684_thumb.jpg

I do not like the Chinese or Russian rigs. They are not built as well as others, the skinny shoulder straps cut into you during a day of training with a vest full of 30 rounders.

Look up "Lifchik". They do NOT have skinny straps.

I have not tried the Lifckik rig. The only Russian rigs I own are the Smersh and the M23. The Smersh is more "web gear" than a true chest rig, so does not fit my needs. The M23 bites into my shoulders when loaded down and is way overpriced for what you get. I'm sure you are right and the Lifchik is probably a fine rig.

My problem is this; most military style chest rigs have to much shit on them for me. I use them for training and for playing gun games, not to survive a military campaign in a war zone. My BOB has the stuff I need to survive for a while if the SHTF, and go unnoticed among the population.

Try wearing some of those chest rigs that stack 30 rounders of 7.62 three deep in each pouch, and you will want to take that thing off after the first hour, and have pretty limited mobility. I like the Eagle rig because it is so low profile, that you can put a jacket over it and zip it up if you wanted to, is high quality, and only costs $60.

The op's needs may be better suited with a loaded up military style chest rig, but I threw my experiences out there as another option. If it is for pure collector status, or a primary SHTF bug-out rig, definately go russian.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm inclined to just go with a Weesatch plate carrier. You can run it with or without plates and is pretty comfy. The Weesatch doesn't stick out like the Wasatch which is better for mobility and will cary 4 mags single stacked. Molle all over it if you need to add shit but to be honest, people stick too much stuff on their rigs. I find that too much more shit and I start to get tired fast.

It's either that or one of those Eagle AK single rigs. Those are actually really nice and I'l vouch that Eagle is a top notch brand. BHI also makes a decent chest rig but IMO blackwawk is just one of those names that people charge a premium for.