SAIGA VS POLYTECH AK????????

Just curious as to various opinions concerning a Saiga 7.62x39 VS a Polytech AK47 Pre-Ban.

I have tons of experience with combat AK's as the pre-ban, but not with Saiga's version.

So is it worth it to convert a Saiga or just stick with the Pre-ban?

The Saiga will cost me probably double after conversion so without using cost a consideration, im more concerned with performance issues and reliability.

And please if your a newbie or hadn't the pleasure of putting at least a cpl of thousands rounds downrange with one reserve comment. I'm looking for those with serious experience with the model, no offense intended.

i can NOT comment compared to other AK variants because the Saiga is the only AK variant i own.. i own one in 223 and 7.62.. ive built out a few of these rifles.. as far as use... im rough on the gun.. don't always clean it.. and it goes bang EVERY time.. i have yet to experience FTF, FTE, or ANY malfunction whatsoever.. shoots straight as could be expected with the ammo im shooting.. im definitely not an expert but i would say that its probably better than most others out there in regards to accuracy.. based on the fact that i don't experience the horrible accuracy many "AK" users complain about..

I've always thought that Polytechs were overrated, (and overpriced).. but maybe that's just me. A nicely converted Saiga is about as accurate an AK as exists.

I am aware that the people who make Saiga own the patent to the AK even though there are many copies both here and abroad.

As well as the fact that Norinco is a owned and operated by the Chinese National Army. 100 percent of our cash goes to them by buying a Norinco.

I take it that these days with all the communist now running our government, they fear old style AK's hence the Saiga models that need to be converted at all VS a Polytech style version.

Im just wondering if all the added expense and work is worth buying Russian VS an original Chinese version?

With 5 years military and 20 years LE, I have many ten's of thousands of rounds of 5.56 through various M16 & M16A1, GAU5, XM177. I only have about 7,000-8,000 through various AKs in the last 20 years. While I only have about 500-600 through my current Saiga, it is 100% reliable, and will do around 2-3 MOA all day long with mil-spec ammo. I have less than $600 in my complete conversion. See my pictures in the picture thread. For reliability, I would trust my life to the Saiga more than I would the XM177 I used as a LE raid/trunk gun (except for the lack of full auto I had with the XM!). The Saiga is above any Chicom made one.

My family has put over 20K through AKs, I have built a couple dozen, and currently own 22 of them, including many Saigas and a Polytech.

The difference; The Polytech is a more robust build with a smoother action than the Saiga. A converted Saiga is lighter and shoots much more accurate than the Polytech.

What Polytech you own makes a huge difference too. The B-West Polytechs are not very good, and many of these receivers were soft and ended up cracking. Polytech Legends are the best of the Chinese AKs IMHO and mine has been 100% reliable, albeit not as accurate as many other AKs that I own. Dont be ashamed of shooting a Polytech Legend, they are pretty nice.

Hope this helps.