Gas Piston Tutorial?

A few years back, someone posted on here the best way to change out the gas piston. I've decided to do this on a couple of my rifles, but I can't find the thread anywhere. Anybody know the location of that tutorial?

Edited to add: I'm referring to changing the gas piston on a x39 and a .223 Saiga, not the shotguns.

Edited by Vermiform

If you can wait a couple of days, I'll put one up. I just took pics while changing one for a member here, just a week or so ago.

Got a big shoot lined up here for tomorrow though. Got WJ and some other folks including another Saiga-12 member coming out to lay waste to some paper, clay pigeons, and jugs of water.

:smoke:

Shoot me a PM if I forget.....

It's machine press stamped dimpled whatever ya want to call it. It doesn't have a cross pin like normal AKs. They just screw in the piston and bring a heavy press down on it to make those to dents in the carrier, pinching the threads there.

You have to drill out those depressions til you start getting into the piston inside.

Then you can just unscrew it in the vice.

After inserting the new piston should I just drill it and then put a rivet in it. I thought I read somewhere a long time ago about someone tapping the outside and just putting a flush head screw in or something. If I need a rivet, where do I get one?

The ones I've done, I just put locktite on the threads, screwed the piston in (making sure it ends up being the same length as the one that was there before, and having that measurement on hand), and using a flat ended punch that's just smaller than the hole diameter, flattened the threads out some, squashing them, but not all the way flat, so they cannot possibly mesh with the inner threads of the carrier and unscrew. It's basically the same as boogering up the threads after tightening a nut down on a bolt. It makes it virtually impossible to unscrew the nut.

I have a few I've done that way, including my AKS-12 that gets most of the beating around here, and they have not moved at all.

As an option, you could be really anal and drill it through, then put a steel pin through, letting it hang over on both sides. Then place it on an anvil and mushroom both ends til they fill the void. Then grind it back smooth with the side of the carrier and polish....then blue the ends to protect from rusting.

After inserting the new piston should I just drill it and then put a rivet in it. I thought I read somewhere a long time ago about someone tapping the outside and just putting a flush head screw in or something. If I need a rivet, where do I get one?

if you decide to pin it a nail works great. They are soft enough that they expand and hold great. Just about every AK I've ever done has been done that way. No problems.

VM, I think the next build party is going to be in late summer. l'll let you know

I'm fixing to do a few milled kits. whoot !

Edited by rockmup
Cobra: what size drill bit u use on the dimple?

Rockmup: if i decide to drill it all the way and pin it, what size nail and bit?

1/8" or less. Used like a 6D nail and match a slightly undersized bit. i used to buy the pins from AKBuilder but nails will work just fine