Flat weld on plate versus Ace internal adapter block

Is there an advantage to using the internal adapter block versus the simple weld on back plate stock adapter other than maybe no welding with the adapter block? Does the block make the receiver more solid or something?

Also why do so few use the side mount for optics mounting? Looks like there are plenty of mounts with weaver bases that would work for any kind of optic but they don't seem popular, there must be a reason? TIA

The only advantage of the internal adapter block is that you do not have to weld it in. It is not as strong, light, or in my opinion ascetically pleasing as a welded plate. The welded plate will box the receiver and add additional strength.

On the other hand as many people will attest the internal adapter block is a perfectly serviceable way to go, my first Saiga12 used one!

As to the side mount, well I can not help you there. I think that optics on a guage are a waste of time and too heavy for the return. A shotgun is interned for very close range, multiple rapid moving targets. Most optics will diminish the guns ability to be utilized effectively for that mission.

But, each to his own!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Azrial since I like folders. If you want to use a folder, this is the way to go. If you dont plan on that and want to use a wood stock or some AK variety, it may be best to leave it be. The weld on plate is a great way to mount a folding stock solid while improving the structural integrity of the rear end. Its so solid, but its much harder to reverse if you want to use an internal type stock. The internal receiver blocks are more expensive than the attachments you can get once you have your folder mechanism.

On the side mount, Ive had some issues with keeping zeroed when using it, may or may not be the site mount and may just be the power of the 12 gauge banging things out of zero. I have a case of the site mount forming small cracks on a Dragunov, so have not really found it to be good overall compaired to a 1911 style rail.