So with a little work my conversion is almost done

Tapco Double Hook FCG

Ace Folding mechanism

Ace Stock

Tromix Weld in receiver plate

Tromix DIY trigger guard

So the story begins with a IZ-107 thats the 24" barreled one, that i bought from my local gun shop on a whim, Actually i traded some Radway green 5.56 ammo for it. I had seen and read about Saiga's in the past, and fell in love.

I tig welded in the rear plate angled downwards as suggested here and filled in the old trigger pin holes. cut the trigger hole to fit the double hook. ground down the radius of the gas plug so it wouldn't rub on the barrel as it moved.

Of course my 24" barrel only had 2 gas ports, so i followed the instructions here to fix it. Used a hammer and a brass punch to get the gas block off, but it didn't work, got the BIGGER hammer and beat the crap out of it until it eventually let loose. While doing so my punch slipped once removing the front sight. OOPS took 10min with the welder to put some metal back, and then grind back down to a usable sight.

Drilled 2 more gas ports, and opened up the gas block by following directions found here. Then i did something crazy, i chopped the barrel down to 18.5" using a pipe cutter :unsure: This took over an hour and a half to get through, came out way better than expected. Mounted a ball into my drill put wet 320 sand paper to it, and lapped the crown with it. Again this came out better than expected.

Put it together, racked the bolt and dang it was getting hung up on a lot of everything. Adjusted the face of the hammer & polished, adjusted the bottom of the bolt and polished, Smoothed the chamber entrance. Glides like butter now.

Took it out back yesterday with some Winchester Super-Target 2 3/4" 7 1/2shot on setting 2. ran like a sewing machine. worried i might have opened up the gas ports too much i turned the plug to 1 and fired.... FTE I'm taking that as a good sign that it won't be over gassed using slugs. Still might get the gunfixer plug just in case.

I have order some HK sights to weld on, Weld a safety stop for the safe position (don't like how far it travels upwards) and will send the receiver to get the barrel cut and a Muzzle something welded on for an overall length of 18.25" and if possible have the barrel taped for remchokes. I think if i have the muzzle device threads turned out to the diameter of the barrel, and welded on this could be done. End goal is to have a rifled choke in there for slugs, while retaining the muzzle device.

As for paint?? might blast it and send it to Iron Ridge Arms for an Iron Coat treatment

Cobra, haven't' forgotten about the trigger guard i promised, i'll send it soon

Saiga12.jpg

Nice job!

I'm envious of you guys that have the skills and tool$ to do serious work like that.

Just a note re: the safety stop...... it supposed to be able to come up and cover the ejection port so it can keep

crap from getting into the gun. I know what you mean about it being irritating that it runs off the top edge of the

receiver though. The perfect fix for that is a small divot drilled into the receiver along the safety's scribe line.

That will give you a positive stop before it runs off the top edge, yet still allow you to fully close the safety.

I've been meaning to do that on mine, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nice job!

I'm envious of you guys that have the skills and tool$ to do serious work like that.

Just a note re: the safety stop...... it supposed to be able to come up and cover the ejection port so it can keep

crap from getting into the gun. I know what you mean about it being irritating that it runs off the top edge of the

receiver though. The perfect fix for that is a small divot drilled into the receiver along the safety's scribe line.

That will give you a positive stop before it runs off the top edge, yet still allow you to fully close the safety.

I've been meaning to do that on mine, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I was thinking of building up a stop so the bump from the safety would just come off the top of the receiver and stop. That way while in safe it would also block the movement of the bolt, there is a millimeter of space available between the safety and the dust cover to do it.