I just cleaned the 870 but the ported barrel seems like a gunk magnet. Even after about 10 patches, the bore snake and one last patch with lube on it, some of the ports still had stuff in them. They are too small for a q-tip.

I guess I can leave them alone, but if I am going to clean the gun, I want to do the whole thing and do it right. Is there a trick to cleaning them, like using a tooth pick or is it just not worth the time and effort to clean each port hole?

WJ

I use a plastic, 90 degree angled pick I got in a set at walmart. It came with 2 other picks and a brush for about $3-$5. I believe I have read of some people using dental picks, which I am assuming are metal, but I prefer plastic.

And it is my understanding that they (the ports) will get clogged up eventually, leading to failures to eject, if not cleaned.

two simple words...

PIPE CLEANERS

you can get them in any craft store, or the craft section of walmart... in many different lengths... they are fuzzy and hold solvent well.

run them in and out, then throw away. Simple. :up:

:smoke:

I just get some old dental picks from my dentist. Most will only use them so many times before they swap them out. I ended up just asking my dentist for his old ones on my last visit and ended up with a handfull in various sizes for free. Brought them home and boiled them just to be sure. Works great and no money out of my pocket, which made it better.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • 3 weeks later...

Only weapon I have with a ported barrel is a Glock 23C, to clean the ports I use the "screwdriver" tool from an Ak cleaning kit, covered with a solvent-soaked patch. Since the ports on the Glock are slots and it sounds from your description as if the ports on your shotgun are a series of holes, you might try the same trick with the "punch" tool from the cleaning kit, or some other small cylindrical object. I always try to avoid direct steel-on-steel contact when cleaning weapons, but dental picks should work just fine if you're not as finicky as me.