bore/bullet diameters

Would anyone happen to know the bore diameter of the chrome plated Saiga barrels?

Normally the US standard is .308 and the European is .310-.311.

Is anyone loading .308 dia bullets with reasonable accuracy ? or are the .310s required ?

Thank you and have a GREAT day !

I shot some reloads with .308 bullets in my two x39 Saigas. The test was very limited and amounted to only about a dozen rounds for each gun.

Accuracy was quite good, from what I could tell. Seemed better than the black box Wolf I had been shooting; but I was using iron sights so it was hard to tell how much improvement there really was.

This test was cut short when I recovered the brass and noticed that most cases were cracked at the neck-shoulder junction...the location of the Russian gun control "feature" that puts a ring in the neck of fired brass.

The reloads were some I put together several years ago for a Mini-30 I once had. They were in twice fired IMI brass and used .308 cal. 110 Gr. M1 carbine bullets and .308 165Gr. Rem. PSP bullets. The loads used starting level powder charges, but the guns cycled normally and handled them both quite well...except for the case cracks. Kinda put the crash to my plans to reload for these guns. Annealing case necks after each firing would add a lot of work.

My understanding is that the Saiga has the .311 bore diameter; but I've not miked it.

Bob

Edited by 555JM