Thanks for all the kind words and support fo the forum. He's going to have a kick ass funeral tomorrow. Fire fighters are going to have their trucks with us on way to cemetary, bagpipes,taps, National Guard is doing 21 gun salute at gravesite. He had a nice obituary write up in The Richmond Times Dispatch about his military and firefighting service.

My mom called me yesterday morning to let me know my step dad had been hospitalized. He had woke up the day before with numbness in his left leg and pain in his hip. After going to the ER at the hospital in Farmville,VA he was released after a doctor said it was just pain associated with Sciatica. Even gave him a few Percocet to help him sleep.(was actually 2 large blood clots that went into his legs) Luckily my mom called his PCP and his real doctor told her to call an ambulance and get him Johnston-Willis Hospital. He was admitted into surgery the minute he was wheeled through the door. His legs had been denied blood flow for upwards of 12 hours at this point and had actually started to explode due to the toxins produced by the muscles when they start to die. He died on the table and was brought back last night but remained in a coma. We thought he had a good chance of making it but turned for the worse early this morning. We waited for his brother to fly in from Ohio, who he hadn't seen since before he went to Vietnam! They were not speaking, not sure why, but had recently started to make amends. Life support was turned off at 6:45 and he died shortly after 7pm. He was a gunlover and lifetime NRA member. Pretty much every Christmas or family get together we would get out the guns and shoot after dinner. He's taken care of my mom since I was in my early teens and been a great second dad to me and my 2 other brothers. The reality of what is going to happen now that he's gone and my Mom's alone on a 15 acre farm haven't really set in. He had a long career in the Army and then in the National Guard and as a fire fighter. He served in Vietnam, I believe Panama and lastly the first war in Iraq. Knowing him I am sure his affairs are in order and everything will work itself out but it's going to be a hard couple month's ahead. I just hope my mom can cope. I had just spoke to him and was planning on going up to their farm to shoot the Saiga this week. He was a great guy I wish had had gotten to know him better.

Sorry to hear of your Loss as well. We will be in prayer for you and your family. Stay close to your Mom and understand that God will use these tough times to do good and bring glory to Him as well.

Sounds like a great American. How old was he? Was his health good prior to the clots? Sorry for your loss and I hope the best for your Mother.

God Bless.

GIPSON, David Lester "Hoot", 64, of Cumberland, Va., passed away on Monday, June 1, 2009. He served his country for over 20 years and retired as master sergeant for the U.S. Airforce and National Guard, where he was a fire captain, then he retired as Federal Fire Chief for the Defense General Supply Center. After retirement, he continued working for the Virginia Film Industry as a teamster. He is survived by his wife of 10 years, Jacqueline B. Gipson, better known as "Wild Thing"; by his sons, Mathew Gipson (Annette) and Luke Gipson; three stepsons, Daniel Scarbrough (Jessica), Joshua Scarbrough and Jake Scarbrough (Ashley); Five grandchildren, Alexis, Kallie and Crew Gipson,Austin Heath and Violet Nelson; brother, Donald Gipson (Barbara); as well as many other many family and friends. The family will receive friends from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Mechanicsville Chapel, Bennett Funeral Home, 8014 Lee-Davis Rd., Mechanicsville, where funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, with interment to follow at Washington Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Jude Children's Hospital.

Published in the Richmond Times-Dispatch from 6/3/2009 - 6/4/2009

Had the memorial service earlier this evening. Henrico County Fire Dept. came in and preformed an honor guard ceremony. He also worked on pretty much every movie made in the Virginia area over the last 10 years.

>>>Also, I NEVER want to know why my mom's nickname was "Wild Thing".