I have been wanting to find a defense driving course for my 16 year old to attend. The few I found were either way too expensive, or too far from North Carolina or both. Yesterday on the Motor Trend t.v. show, they did a feature on a relatively new course for teenagers at Blackwater here in North Carolina. The show said the course was free and what I saw on the show looked great. Well, the free part was not true, but at $500.00, it is still cheap insurance to give my Daughter some skills she currently, seriously, lacks.

I have a theory that kids now days, particularly girls (now this is a broad generalization) do not grow up like I did, driving snowmobiles, mini-bikes, dirt bikes, go carts, riding lawn mowers, etc., which provides at least some muscle memory and practice accelerating, braking and steering. In the case of the snowmobile, one also learns how to get out of skids and how to brake on slippery surfaces.

So, hopefully this course will give her some skills in those areas. She is not going until October when she will have her regular license. But if anyone is looking for such a course for their teenager, it may be worth checking out.

I am hoping that on the day she attends the course, I can at least do some shooting on their ranges or attend some type of course myself.

WJ