New member New saiga 12

Hey everyone... I picked up a saiga 12 a couple months back, and have been relatively pleased with it's function. I've noticed with light loads it occasionally fails to eject (1 in maybe 8 rounds). I had shotgun side match at USPSA today and experienced 3 failure to ejects in 19 rounds (Light target loads). After reading up on here I looked an noticed I have a 2 port gun ( :cryss: ). If it's cycling SO SO now would a new gas plug (4 position) do the job... or do I need to go the full 9 yards and drill another gas port? Is there a way I could return the gun for warranty (I've stuck a krebs ghost ring on it and cut off the front bead). Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

EDIT ps serial number range is H08431****

Edited by n0mad187
Hey everyone... I picked up a saiga 12 a couple months back, and have been relatively pleased with it's function. I've noticed with light loads it occasionally fails to eject (1 in maybe 8 rounds). I had shotgun side match at USPSA today and experienced 3 failure to ejects in 19 rounds (Light target loads). After reading up on here I looked an noticed I have a 2 port gun ( :cryss: ). If it's cycling SO SO now would a new gas plug (4 position) do the job... or do I need to go the full 9 yards and drill another gas port? Is there a way I could return the gun for warranty (I've stuck a krebs ghost ring on it and cut off the front bead). Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

Your would have to talk to CGW about warrenty work.

There are other things you can do like polishing the contact surfaces, and maybe the KA gas puck might help. If i understand it right the gunfixer gas plug is made more for overgassed guns than undergassed(you).

My recomendation is try to get warrenty work done, if thats not a option, get a KA piston and do some polishing.

Oh and i think i remember reading that serial numbers don't mean shit, its importation lots that mattered for vodka specials.

Edited by Nailbomb

i had the same problem. CGW handles the warranty work for saiga 12's. they fixed me up good.

email RAAC 1st http://raacfirearms.com/contact.htm

Cadiz Gun Works

(Warranty Repair Shop)

Must have Return Authorization

for repair work.

P.O. Box 126

117 West Market St.

Cadiz, OH 43907

1-740-942-3175

i had the same problem. CGW handles the warranty work for saiga 12's. they fixed me up good.

Cadiz Gun Works

(Warranty Repair Shop)

for repair work.

P.O. Box 126

117 West Market St.

Cadiz, OH 43907

1-740-942-3175

Snoofer thanks for reply... did they send you back your original gun.. or a replacement.. I had to cut the rear sight off of mine, so I can't restore it to the original... gonna have to leave the rear sight on. Thanks again

Cadiz Gun Works

(Warranty Repair Shop)

for repair work.

P.O. Box 126

117 West Market St.

Cadiz, OH 43907

1-740-942-3175

Snoofer thanks for reply... did they send you back your original gun.. or a replacement.. I had to cut the rear sight off of mine, so I can't restore it to the original... gonna have to leave the rear sight on. Thanks again

I still have my old rear sight. let me know if you need it.

no prob. yeah i got the same one back. now it has three ports and no FTE's :) the whole process was pretty painless too. i emailed RAAC and the next day vickey from CGW emailed me a UPS packing slip and i printed it out and taped it to the box and sent it off.

Edited by Snoofer

Before you send it away for repair I (And many others) humbly suggest a good break-in period before expecting anything near 100% reliability using light loads.

FYI, many light loads simply will not cycle in the Saiga-12 without additional (Non Warranty) work.

My 2001 22" Saiga has 4 gasports and is well broken in but it doesn't like Cheap light loads. Quality loads it has no problems with.

However if you INSIST on using CHEAP light loads a reduced power recoil spring, polishing the action, adding a concave gas piston and installing a GUNFIXR gas knob might help along with Warranty modding (Drilling) extra gas ports.

Before you send it away for repair I (And many others) humbly suggest a good break-in period before expecting anything near 100% reliability using light loads.

FYI, many light loads simply will not cycle in the Saiga-12 without additional (Non Warranty) work.

My 2001 22" Saiga has 4 gasports and is well broken in but it doesn't like Cheap light loads. Quality loads it has no problems with.

However if you INSIST on using CHEAP light loads a reduced power recoil spring, polishing the action, adding a concave gas piston and installing a GUNFIXR gas knob might help along with Warranty modding (Drilling) extra gas ports.

I've put about 250 round through the gun..I would guess about 50 or so were heavy loads (00 buck) and slugs. The loads I'm shooting inexpensive federal blue box but they are 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, not the 1 oz wally world specials. I'm going to contact for warranty work at this point. I don't INSIST on using CHEAP light loads... what I would like would be to able to use 1 1/8 oz small shot... so that I can use the gun for three gun.. and shotty side matches. If for some reason they won't do it I'm capable of drilling the gas hole myself I've got a 20 ton press.. drill press. and have built several ak's. If I had a three hole gun... I would be more open to trying different things... but it appears I have a two hole vodka special... are there some two hole guns that actually run well with light loads? My impression was that you should drill a third hole to get any sort of reliability with any light ammo. I realize these shottys were originally designed as police/home defense... guns, and in that role it's run very well. Call me greedy but I would like to use it for three gun.

As always I appreciate your commentary even if it is "SHOOT IT MORE N00B" I'm sure in many instances that's a good fix... I just don't think that's the case for me. I've shot it quite a bit still issues. If you had a "quality load" you could suggest I would be more than willing to try it out... see what happens, but I'm going to guess it probably won't function 100%.

PS nailbomb thanks for the offer man. I have cut off the front bead soo they will probably figure it out :-).. I don't see why aftermarket sights would prevent CGW from doing the warranty work if RAAC approves it.

Edited by n0mad187
As always I appreciate your commentary even if it is "SHOOT IT MORE N00B" I'm sure in many instances that's a good fix... I just don't think that's the case for me. I've shot it quite a bit still issues. If you had a "quality load" you could suggest I would be more than willing to try it out... see what happens, but I'm going to guess it probably won't function 100%.

:lolol:

Welcome aboard! I love new members with a sense of humor.