Hole on the side of gas block

Hey guys, new Saiga 12 owner here. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I did look around a bit and didn't see anything on it. I recently did a conversion on a 19" threaded barrell after wanting a Saiga for years. I have removed the gas plug and found it has 3 gas ports, I used a paper clip and they all go through the barrell so I guess I got lucky there. But what is the hole that is on the left side of the gas block? I didn't notice it until I removed my SGM foregrip and saw the powder residue. And is the correct way to set the gas plug, turning it all the way in and then backing it out until the pin catches? Thanks alot guys

Hey guys, new Saiga 12 owner here. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I did look around a bit and didn't see anything on it. I recently did a conversion on a 19" threaded barrell after wanting a Saiga for years. I have removed the gas plug and found it has 3 gas ports, I used a paper clip and they all go through the barrell so I guess I got lucky there. But what is the hole that is on the left side of the gas block? I didn't notice it until I removed my SGM foregrip and saw the powder residue. And is the correct way to set the gas plug, turning it all the way in and then backing it out until the pin catches? Thanks alot guys

Mine has that hole as well. I believe that is a relief hole that lets air and excess gas escape from behind the piston puck.

You are correct about the gas plug.

Edited by Crusader

I think all Saiga 12s have that hole. I HAVE seen a couple people plug it as part of a conversion. I guess the assumption was that doing so helped more gas to cycle the action. No clue if that's true or not though.

Some will disagree with me on this one, but I tigged up the side gas port as I initially had an undergassed gun. What was weird on my friends 21 inch version was when he removed the factory handguard, he lost so much pressure that he had to tig it shut. We concluded that the back pressure of the factory handguard helped the 21 inch cycle while mine (19 in) was not as sensitive. Cobra noted he did some test where he used scotch tape to cover the hole and it didnt even blow off the tape when he fired slugs. This may be one of those manufacturing run things. Closing the hole will certainly void your warranty but I bought my saiga with the intention of having a project and doing all the work on it myself so had no expectation of warranty coverage.

My belief is that there is very little risk with closing that hole. The gas system is pretty loose on aks and saigas, so its pretty unlikely that the gas tube would frag on you since there are other places for the gas to escape.