Reloading Ammo

Is reloading cheaper?

depends on quantity if you load one round then no, if you load 10 000 on the other hand, you can buy yourself another saiga (but no promisess)

How much are supplies?

check whith www.midwayusa.com

What do i need to get started?

ihave know idea

I am not a reloader, but i would say that another advantage of reloading is that you can tailor the load to the gun. In other words, if you really want to see what kind of accuracy your siaga is capable of, do some experiments. Lighter bullet, vary the powders. Maybe even try a 130/140 grainer.

And as everyone else has said, it can be cheaper if you make lots of em.

And the cool thing is, if you get a single stage press (prob works with the others, too), you can reload almsot any bullet with different dies.

As I said, i'm not a reloader, but thats my 2 cents.

It would be difficult to save money by reloading when there is a supply of surplus ammo available. If the surplus dries up then the scale tips to a big maybe. Reloading requires an investment in equipment and materials. This can range from modest to big bucks. More important is to have a dedicated space to reload and to store your powder and primers. Most important is to have the knowledge and safety procedures down pat before you even think of opening the can of powder. Read one or two current reloading manuals so you know what is involved, then make an informed decision.

Actually, with the price of good surplus ammo as it is, you can still save money reloading. At least that's the case over here. Of course, I'm talking here about the 308/7.62 NATO. If we were talking 8mm Mauser, or 7.62x54R, then I would say don't bother. ; ) Even 223 Rem is cheaper to reload at the moment. The initial start up costs can seem high, but it's well worth it if you reload on a regular basis. Just for comparrison: Commercial 308 = $0.15-0.20 per cartridge ....

Reloaded 308: $0.10 per cartridge. It depends a lot on what ammo you are buying, and what you are reloading with.

Reloading does allow you to tailor loads to your gun, and it provides an interesting and (some would say) fun way to pass the time. As far as a first step, I would look for a reloading manual or three. Lyman, and almost every bullet-maker, put/s out very good information.

After getting at least one reloading manual, you will need: a reloading press (and a heavy bench or something to mount it to), a set of reloading dies for the cartridge you will be loading, bullets, gun powder, a powder scale, a funnel, primers, a priming tool of some kind, cases, case lubricant, and the ability to follow instructions/a fair amount of patience.

Since you posted here I'm going to take the liberty of assuming that you are planning on reloading for a saiga 308, or some other semi-automatic. If this is the case, then when you acquire a set of reloading dies, you will need a "small base" die set. This is because the chambers of semi-automatics tend to be a little looser than those found in bolt action rifles. Because of this, the brass case may stretch/bulge a bit more than normal one it is fired in a semi-auto rifle. A "small base" die sizes the entire length of the case, all the way down to the base, to ensure reliable functioning.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.