Bullet guide questions

Been thinking about installing a Dinzag bullet guide in my 7.62 x 39 Saiga, but I had a couple of questions:

1. Is a drill press necessary to drill the hole (to be tapped for the screw) in the receiver or can it be done with a hand drill?

2. What should I use to hold the receiver steady and in the correct position? I was thinking about making a simple holder out of wood. I don't want to buy a machinist vise for a one time use and holding it steady with my left hand while I drill with my right hand sounds a little iffy.

Thanks,

Been thinking about installing a Dinzag bullet guide in my 7.62 x 39 Saiga, but I had a couple of questions:

1. Is a drill press necessary to drill the hole (to be tapped for the screw) in the receiver or can it be done with a hand drill?

2. What should I use to hold the receiver steady and in the correct position? I was thinking about making a simple holder out of wood. I don't want to buy a machinist vise for a one time use and holding it steady with my left hand while I drill with my right hand sounds a little iffy.

Thanks,

1. No, it's definitely not necessary. It would make things a lot easier, but a bullet guide install is very doable with a hand drill. I did mine with a hand drill. Just be sure to keep the bit as straight as possible.

2. Sounds like your woodwork will do the job, if you don't have a vice.

You can use a kitchen cabinet (or other flat surface [ I use the tailgate of the truck, often ] ).

Remove your hand guard, and let the mag catch hang off the cabinet, and the rifle will sit flat on the receiver.

You can use a kitchen cabinet (or other flat surface [ I use the tailgate of the truck, often ] ).

Remove your hand guard, and let the mag catch hang off the cabinet, and the rifle will sit flat on the receiver.

I did this. I used a phonebook. Worked pretty good.

Thanks guys for the helpful advice.

Since you're so knowledgeable, maybe I can ask a couple more questions.

My plan is to install the bullet guide, shoot some rounds to make sure everything works, and then loctite the bullet guide screw with red loctite. Is the loctite a good idea?

Should I torque the bullet guide screw to a certain value or just tighten it down?

Thanks again,