I was called in early to the newspaper today for an 11:00 meeting with The Boss. As it was nonstop torrential rainfall outside; my immediate superiors were caught in traffic caused by flooding. Finding something to do, I decided to browse the AP Wire Service terminal and I saw a picture of a couple of Jakarta SWAT team members. You know what they had slung on their shoulders?...you guessed it Saiga 12's. I'd upload the picture if I could but I don't wanna get busted at work not having yet received my first paycheck. The guns looked modified. They had longer than usual barrels. Maybe these are Flash Suppressors? Some members here appear to have similar-looking barrel mods.

Stand Up and Be Counted Jakarta!

-Jah Ras Ta Far I

Is it monsoon season down there? I seem to remember that the summer months were always wet when I was growing up in Cebu.

Yes it is. Fact is we've had six straight days of rain. Some of it leading to flooding. Thank God I've got that Golf umbrella. I've stood many minutes in driving, pouring rain. The other day I came to work via a dude with and improvised motorcyle through some pretty serious flooding. But hey, I'll take rain over freezing sleet any day. :)

I love Cebu. The people are nicer and they're a lot more laid back. The service industry works better down there too. and the beach is just a drive a way...

I love Cebu. The people are nicer and they're a lot more laid back. The service industry works better down there too. and the beach is just a drive a way...

I'm trying to convince the wife to go down there and visit with me. She can't stand flying.

Cebu was great in the 70's...if you didn't mind living under a dictator. I'll take sleet over martial law any day. :)

I'm trying to convince the wife to go down there and visit with me. She can't stand flying.

Cebu was great in the 70's...if you didn't mind living under a dictator. I'll take sleet over martial law any day. :)

I'm generally apolitical. But let me say this, I was born 9 mos. before Martial Law was declared and as far as I'm concerned this current government may not be the best; but it's the best comparatively in my lifetime. If you're a tourist it's an absolute non-issue, unless you make it one. Cebu right now is the island of friendly service and inexpensive seafood and spa services. Not to mention the charming handicrafts (go to Danao and visit the Jungle Gunsmiths). I'm not sure how far you guys are but tell your wife I used to hump 40 hour flights door to door from Manila all the way to Boston. If she can tolerate the flight I pretty much guarantee the trip will be more than worth it.

I'm generally apolitical. But let me say this, I was born 9 mos. before Martial Law was declared and as far as I'm concerned this current government may not be the best; but it's the best comparatively in my lifetime. If you're a tourist it's an absolute non-issue, unless you make it one. Cebu right now is the island of friendly service and inexpensive seafood and spa services. Not to mention the charming handicrafts (go to Danao and visit the Jungle Gunsmiths). I'm not sure how far you guys are but tell your wife I used to hump 40 hour flights door to door from Manila all the way to Boston. If she can tolerate the flight I pretty much guarantee the trip will be more than worth it.

No doubt the political landscape has changed dramatically since Marcos and Imelda and all her shoes. We'd be traveling from probably JFK in NY and my mother had mentioned that there is a non-stop flight (Cathay Air I think). I'm trying to get down there in 2010 with her and the kids. I've changed my tactics to a flanking one and I think I've convinced her mother that she wants to visit the exotic Pacific Islands. :)

I used to own an acoustic guitar crafted in Mactan....it didn't survive my teenage years. I thought I was Pete Townshend one time and "pretended" to bash it onto the floor. The problem was, I ended up bashing it for real. Sometimes my own stupidity amazes me.

No doubt the political landscape has changed dramatically since Marcos and Imelda and all her shoes. We'd be traveling from probably JFK in NY and my mother had mentioned that there is a non-stop flight (Cathay Air I think). I'm trying to get down there in 2010 with her and the kids. I've changed my tactics to a flanking one and I think I've convinced her mother that she wants to visit the exotic Pacific Islands. :)

I used to own an acoustic guitar crafted in Mactan....it didn't survive my teenage years. I thought I was Pete Townshend one time and "pretended" to bash it onto the floor. The problem was, I ended up bashing it for real. Sometimes my own stupidity amazes me.

You won't have a problem finding an inexpensive yet superior acoustic guitar in Cebu. Cathay Pacific I'm not that sure about. There should be a NYC-HKG-CBU flight. You could also consider Singapore Airlines' nonstop NYC-SIN flight and get a transit with them to Cebu. If you're into knives there are many nice cheap "Rambo" Knives that have a small one attached to the scabbard. I'm trying to target next Spring to show my girlfriend NYC. It's the one place on the planet she wants to see and part of that is the stories I've told her and her watching Anthony Bourdain. :)