Yugo AK47 VS Saiga ak47

Why should I get a Saiga IZ 321 rifle over a Yugo AK47 7.62x39 Underfolder? by the time I convert the saiga with a pistol grip and 922r compliance im near the price of the Yugo?

With saiga you get new Russian built receiver and barrel.

With Yugo you get unknown barrel and home-made receiver.

On my books, new Saiga > any parts kit

Why should I get a Saiga IZ 321 rifle over a Yugo AK47 7.62x39 Underfolder? by the time I convert the saiga with a pistol grip and 922r compliance im near the price of the Yugo?

unknown barrel & home-made receiver? please provide more details.

unknown barrel & home-made receiver? please provide more details.

I think he meant you'd be rolling the dice.

The vast majority of the commercially available Yugo M70s are built on a Nodak Spud receiver with a new Green Mountain barrel.

I own both Yugo AKs and Saigas (both stock and converted). I think the price of an already converted Saiga (like the Arsenal SGL-20) is currently about $200 more than a Yugo.

The big advantage of the Saiga is that it's a new rifle. Most of the Yugo's are built from kits of used parts with non-matching numbers. As others have stated, the build quality of the Yugo's does vary from rifle to rifle. The Saigas are a more consistent product.

Some think the Russian origin of the Saiga is an advantage, although Yugoslavia also builds high quality AKs. I don't know that there is a real difference in quality between the two countries.

With the thicker 1.5mm receiver, heavier barrel, and bulged trunnion the Yugo has a much more solid (and heavier) feel than the Saiga. To some (like me) this is desirable. Others like the lighter Saigas.

Objectively, the Saiga is probably a better gun, but somehow the Yugo feels more like a real AK. Maybe it's the tank like build and honest wear.

Who collects Anuses, and isnt this a Gun board? jeesh, on topic, i beg of you.

The Russians have superior longer wearing barrels, otherwise, I personally prefer the Yugo's though you do have to watch for the occasional botched assembly (usually involving a grinding wheel where a file would do) They are heavier, nicer feeling, with a number of nice touches that just arent availiable on other AK's.

I actually had A yugo m70ab2 folder on a NodacSpud receiver. It was a great weapon, but it was too heavy. It was damn near 10 pounds. If I wanted a weapon that heavy, I would still have my CETME 7.62x51! I love my light little Saiga. It's more accurate than the Yugo was, even though the yugo had a Green Mountain barrel. MySaiga is 2 moa with Russian ammo. Even the factory certificate says 81mm! And that's with iron sights. viva la Saiga

It is embedded in human psychology to equate "weight" with "value", hence one of the reasons people seem to prefer the Yugos over others.

The M64 Yugo that I own (and built via re-weld method) weighed more due to the milled receivers. Now the shit that century imports lacks the milled receiver. They are quality rifles with some add ons the saigas lack, like flip up night sights ad grenade launcher. ReverendFranz has it right, these are quality rifles whose build quality was exceptional given the circumstances of their creation.

Now the Saiga is a great rifle, probably the best non galil or valmet ak type rifle available in the US right now, but the Yugo is worth owning.