Guys,

Stupid question here. You know how you read about Russia making deals with countries like Venezuela on AK production under license. So, I was wondering, what stops a good old American manufacturer to start making, say AKM or AK74 from all domestically made parts? I mean there are only what 54 or so parts in it, including pins, so it should no be brain surgery, right? We got Nodak Spud making receivers, people making barrels, pistons, FCGs, gas tubes, furniture, retainers, springs etc. BTW, does NDS need to pay any fees to Izhmash? Or is it simply the case that IP protection is long gone on these old models?

Bottom line, it seems weird to me to no end that no one makes AKs from "scratch" over here. I would imagine that domestically made AKs would have better fit and finish due to superior manufacturing techniques available in this country and of course we would have better factory finishes than anyone else out there.

Any thoughts? Nalioth - I am sure you know the answers :)

Any "AK made from scratch" over here would be cost-prohibitive to purchase.

I'm not up on patent law, but since the Kalashnikov was never patented over here, I don't think we'd need to pay anybody anything. Even if it were patented at the time it was introduced, it'd have long been expired.

Edited by nalioth

I'm not up on patent law, but since the Kalashnikov was never patented over here, I don't think we'd need to pay anybody anything. Even if it were patented at the time it was introduced, it'd have long been expired.

Man, that was fast! :super:

Why do you think it would be prohibitively expensive?

Given that ARs go for around $900 and up, wouldn't AKs be cheaper due to much simpler construction?

I would totally buy a high quality domestic AK even for 1K - look at what SGLs sell for.

Man, that was fast! :super:

Why do you think it would be prohibitively expensive?

Given that ARs go for around $900 and up, wouldn't AKs be cheaper due to much simpler construction?

I would totally buy a high quality domestic AK even for 1K - look at what SGLs sell for.

ARs have been being made for decades here. The machinery that makes the parts is all paid for / bugs worked out /etc.

To start up an AK factory making everything from scratch would be costly, and that cost would have to be passed on to the consumer.

It's really too bad we don't have the freedom to import Russian AKs, as they could be had for less than the price of a Saiga.

P.S. IMHO, $900 for a milspec AR15 is highway robbery.