Russian Sport Shooting indicator in Manual?

Is there something in your Saiga .223 manual or even the 7.62 x 39 that lists the fact that they put the raised area on the head of the bolt for their .223 rifles to distinguish the spent brass from that from the military? I had another gunsmith and another forum site that was curious if this was actually a "Saiga" firearms condition, or one of those internet made up things that has been repeated so often as to be taken as gospel.

A good picture in jpeg or even a scanned image of any manual page that lists it would be great!

nope, its only on the 7.62x39. i think its because thats the military round over there.

I wonder if the 5.45x39 will have the same feature.

the only markings made on 223 shells is when the bullet contacts the dust cover during ejection. this will put a dent in the side wall of the shell.

Nope, Greg, the .223 shot by Saiga leaves a deep impression on the brass around the primer.

223_24.6gr_BLC-2.jpg

Notice that the Federal Cartridge round was shot twice. Once was from the factory loading and the second was from me reloading and shooting an additional time. Marks on the right part of the case head are ejector marks. The deep impression around the primer is left from that raised bolt face idea specific to Saiga I wold presume. I don't think a regular .223 or 5.56 NATO rifle would have such an impression, but I don't know if they made this rifle (Kalasnikov) in .223 aka 5.56 x 45mm for regular military round.

Edited by Darth AkSarBen