JT Engineering Magwell live fire test

I purchased a JT Engineering Magwell modified to take AGP mags. I drilled and tapped the reciever myself. I could not find a #38 drill, but used a 3/32 instead. Tapped to 5-40 with no issuses.

I modifed 3x 10rd AGP mags for use with the Magwell.

Live fire tested at the range last Saturday:

Following rounds fired:

100x Federal low brass #7 1/2 shot

40x Winchester 2 3/4in sluggs

20x Winchester feather weight #8 shot

10x Winchester Universal (note: reduced power recoil spring was installed for this round as per TTP)

30x Remingtion 3in OO Buck

10x Federal 3in OOO buck

10x Winchester OOO buck

Saiga 12 was equiped with:

JT MAGWELL

JT extended mag release

GUNFIXER plug

KA Puck

25% reduced power main spring

Tromix Bolt-on handle

Tromix Shark Break that is canted to the 11:00 position

Reduced recoil spring (only used for cycling universal)

GUNFIXER Plug setting:

+1 for the 2 3/4in slugs and 3in mag loads

+3 for all low brass

All mags were loaded to full capacity and inserted in the magwell with the bolt closed.

Results:

Remingtion low brass would not feed on the first round. For some reason, the first round nose dived when I attemped to load with the bolt closed. After the first shot, the rest cycled perfectly. When I attempted to load remingtion low brass with bolt open, the first round loaded perfectly.

All other rounds loaded perfectly on the first round with no misfeeds during cycling. I suspect that the reminington low brass shells are slightly shorter than the others tested. Modifying my feed ramp will likely correct this issue and may not even be a problem with other AGP mags.

All three mags dropped free when released from the magwell.

I conclude that this product performed as advertized. Like the Tromix Bolt-on handle, it is one of those parts that you don't know what you did without one. Jack was also good to answer questions that I had during installation.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1
I've been using the AGP magwell for a while now. It works well. Makes reloads effortless.

~SN

That is one point I failed to make. Reloads are effortless. I love being able to reload on a closed bolt and having an empty mag drop free.

• Like 1
Great to hear....just got the shipping notice on mine. :super:

I have been waiting for JT's to become more vetted. I think the jury is in on this mod. It works.

The instructions are clear, but call Jack when you get it. He seems to prefer to explain things better personnally. It does lead to a better installation. I also feel like I know enough to give advice on the AGP magwell. I can't speak for the surefire one though.

You should also get the JT extended mag release to truely appreciate the drop free ability of this mod.

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

What was different between the instructions and what Jack told you?

From what I know it's a matter of scribing the holes from the magwell and then punching/drilling operation. ??

I already have an extended mag release, can't wait to pair it up with the magwell.

What was different between the instructions and what Jack told you?

From what I know it's a matter of scribing the holes from the magwell and then punching/drilling operation. ??

I already have an extended mag release, can't wait to pair it up with the magwell.

He basically said the samething as the instructions, but went into more detail especially when it comes to positioning the magwell and removing material on the sides of the reciever portion of the magwell. I think that the instructions alone was adequate, but I called him about using a 3/32 drill instead of a #38 and he offered to talk me through the install. I am ignorant when it comes to gunsmithing. I actually used a drimel and a hand held drill to do the work. I had trouble drilling the holes with the drimel because my RPM was too high. I again called Jack and he told me to use a slower 500 RPM drill. I took his advice and cut right through. He also told me to take my time with the 5-40 tap because my 3/32 drill bit was smaller than the required #38. He told me to use 1/4 turns and back-up. Again, he was right. By the time I was done, my holes and threads looked perfect and in the right position. If I can do this anyone can! You might not need to call Jack, but if you run into trouble he can talk you through it.

• Like 1
mine came in the mail today and i'm a little confused? the mag needs to be modified first so that i can get the placement of the magwell? also i can't find the #5-40 tap can i just switch to a similar hardware size that i can find a tap for? thanks

I used a 6-32 because I couldn't find the tap either. But now if it is ever screwed up I can't go any bigger.

mine came in the mail today and i'm a little confused? the mag needs to be modified first so that i can get the placement of the magwell? also i can't find the #5-40 tap can i just switch to a similar hardware size that i can find a tap for? thanks

I used a 6-32 because I couldn't find the tap either. But now if it is ever screwed up I can't go any bigger.

what size drill did you use for the 6-32?

Could someone please explain how a magwell makes the difference in reloading on a closed bolt. I don't understand,

as the mag release is still in the same position, I'm thinking that the mag is still in the same position. The only thing that comes to mind is that the front of the magazine (because of the magwell) is slightly lower or something to that effect. Please enlighten me, oh masters of the Saiga order.

Edited by double
Could someone please explain how a magwell makes the difference in reloading on a closed bolt. I don't understand,

as the mag release is still in the same position, I'm thinking that the mag is still in the same position. The only thing that comes to mind is that the front of the magazine (because of the magwell) is slightly lower or something to that effect. Please enlighten me, oh masters of the Saiga order.

The magwell make loading on a closed bolt like loading a pistol on a closed slide. The mag goes straight in vs rock & lock.

• Like 1

Ok i did a crappy rendering.

The mag (yellow) slides up into the well (Dark Blue Outline) the mag then touches the BACK of the mag well (The portion of the mag in the well is Cyan) and this keeps the mag from rocking backwards and letting the front of the mag fall out of the receiver. Only the magwell and the latch (Pink) are holding the mag up in there.

It works.

post-6947-1250010142_thumb.jpg

King of Battle!

Just received mine. Nice looking piece, instructions look straight forward.

I'll add my field report when I get it installed and tested. I know at least one guy who's waiting to see how mine works before he takes the plunge.

• Like 1
... Remingtion low brass would not feed on the first round. For some reason, the first round nose dived when I attemped to load with the bolt closed. After the first shot, the rest cycled perfectly. When I attempted to load remingtion low brass with bolt open, the first round loaded perfectly.

All other rounds loaded perfectly on the first round with no misfeeds during cycling. I suspect that the reminington low brass shells are slightly shorter than the others tested. Modifying my feed ramp will likely correct this issue and may not even be a problem with other AGP mags....

Try pushing the first shell as far forward as you can when you load the mag into the well. See if that makes it feed the first shot without stoppage.

... Remingtion low brass would not feed on the first round. For some reason, the first round nose dived when I attemped to load with the bolt closed. After the first shot, the rest cycled perfectly. When I attempted to load remingtion low brass with bolt open, the first round loaded perfectly.

All other rounds loaded perfectly on the first round with no misfeeds during cycling. I suspect that the reminington low brass shells are slightly shorter than the others tested. Modifying my feed ramp will likely correct this issue and may not even be a problem with other AGP mags....

Try pushing the first shell as far forward as you can when you load the mag into the well. See if that makes it feed the first shot without stoppage.

I didn't have a chance to try this yet. I actually corrected the problem by tightening the fit. I tightened the fit by applying JB weld to the part where the lip was before it was sanded down for the mod. Once the JB weld dried I filed it down for a better fit. The federal low brass will no load on the first round when the mag in inserted on a closed bolt.

• Like 1