Slight failure to eject problem

out of 25 rounds i had 3 FTE and this is what i would find(this is staged but..) the casing would be wedged in between the bolt face and breech,,looking for cause and solution..I dont have different ammo or mags at the moment to re-test

Specs

German mag

Bullet guide

wolf ammo

post-19532-1250359839_thumb.jpg

Edited by White7

Since it is not double feeding (an empty case and a loaded cartridge trying to occupy the same place at the same time), it is short stroking and not going back far enough for the spent case to be flipped out and the live round to be picked up by the return action of the bolt. There are several causes: One, bad ammo with light loads that don't have the umph to send the bolt back all the way. Two, a problem or blockage in the gas system (This is unlikely because it is periodic). Three, something is impeding the rearward motion of the bolt/carrier group. Generally in an AK it would be magazine lips or fire control group. You can paint the top of the magazine lips with white out (after drying and degreasing) and see if the bolt rubs. This is usually from a magazine seating a little too deep (common in cheap AR builds), too). Did you modify the weapon or the magazine to make it fit the Saiga. If you modified the mag by taking material from the top of the lock lug, instead of the bottom, that would cause the magazine to seat too far.

If it is not this, it is probably a problem with the fire control group. Possibly the hammer occasionally has a problem pushing the disconector out of the way. so it slows the bolt. The angles could be wrong, or the spring tension on the disconnector to tight.

If it is not the magazine rubbing, I would try a different FCG (Tapco is $29 for the whole set).

I have a Tromix modified Fire Control Group,the mag was not altered in any way, my bolt hammer contact seems to be a little on the heavy side,I just completed the conversion so It might be just a break in period is needed,BUT i have a reduced pressure main spring on the way

Try polishing the face of the hammer and base of the bolt where they interact with fine crocus cloth until bright, though I generally dont advise taking much if any metal off either one. polishing both and a reduced main spring may help. Also try polishing your rails. I have seen non sagas that have rough rails with burs.

I would fire a mag with the white out on the top of the magazine lips just to positively rule that out, too.

Polish or break in further. I originally had issues with my S308 loading the initial round. At first, I could only load it with the bolt held open. With time and use, the bolt and hammer wore into each other and I was able to cycle my first rounds by hand. I've noticed that every new Saiga I buy is just a little tighter than the previous one. I like to think that a tight rifle is a sign of improved quality measures.